QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

Postby TCampbell » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Alice Macher wrote:
TCampbell wrote:Make it a true series of loosely interconnected vignettes, with only the barest connections to the Penny and Aggie universe (but possibly including more of the old crowd than just Sara and Lisa, as the stories might well take place on multiple campuses). What would really tie the series together would be the themes of gender and sexual identity and how it's evolving, more than the plots.

So, sort of like your initial plans for Yun Sung and Bo-Bae, where their storylines would've been a recurring feature in P&A, not interacting directly (or even at all) with the Belleville cast, but providing a broader, comparative view of teenage girlhood?

Sort of like that, yeah! Except lots of Yun Sungs and not too much time with the ex (or current) Bellevillians.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:44 pm

I think I got lost in the fray, so I'll re-ask.

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
TCampbell wrote:However, realizing that I was mostly looking forward to bringing back old Penny and Aggie material, and to the general idea of an Asexual or Bisexual chapter, rather than any specific new characters or plots, ultimately convinced me the series had to go.

Did you already have the asexual character planned out, or were you hoping to burn that bridge when you got to it?
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby TCampbell » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:I think I got lost in the fray, so I'll re-ask.

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
TCampbell wrote:However, realizing that I was mostly looking forward to bringing back old Penny and Aggie material, and to the general idea of an Asexual or Bisexual chapter, rather than any specific new characters or plots, ultimately convinced me the series had to go.

Did you already have the asexual character planned out, or were you hoping to burn that bridge when you got to it?

Ah, sorry!

Not really. In my defense, using the original schedule, we wouldn't've reached the Asexual chapter for another two years. (But the intersex character was only barely sketched too.)
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Looking back at the dialogue snippets page just before QUILTBAG debuted... we saw it was Sara who spoke the lines, "Who are you?" and "Secret identity! Secret. Identity." Any idea who would've spoken the other lines? (I'm particularly interested in the "You taste like math" snippet. :D )
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 am

Alice Macher wrote:Looking back at the dialogue snippets page just before QUILTBAG debuted... we saw it was Sara who spoke the lines, "Who are you?" and "Secret identity! Secret. Identity." Any idea who would've spoken the other lines? (I'm particularly interested in the "You taste like math" snippet. :D )

I am willing to put money on Lisa being the one to say the one about missing the stupid quality. (Figuratively speaking, that is, as I don't gamble for anything more than bragging rights.)
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

Captain LeBubbles

Postby Lia S » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 am

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:Looking back at the dialogue snippets page just before QUILTBAG debuted... we saw it was Sara who spoke the lines, "Who are you?" and "Secret identity! Secret. Identity." Any idea who would've spoken the other lines? (I'm particularly interested in the "You taste like math" snippet. :D )

I am willing to put money on Lisa being the one to say the one about missing the stupid quality. (Figuratively speaking, that is, as I don't gamble for anything more than bragging rights.)

I figured that would be said by an asexual and aromantic character observing all the drama.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Mr. Brightside » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:15 am

Nah, sounds like a Hank line to me. "You taste like math" sounds Lisa-esque while just OOC enough for her that I imagine it's Sara who would have said it, or maybe the ur-Jade.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Louisa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 pm

I can kind of picture "you taste like math" coming from Marie, given her love of logic and puzzles and her tendency to communicate oddly.
Louisa

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Louisa wrote:I can kind of picture "you taste like math" coming from Marie, given her love of logic and puzzles and her tendency to communicate oddly.

But did Marie exist at the time that was written?

Captain LeBubbles

Postby Louisa » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
Louisa wrote:I can kind of picture "you taste like math" coming from Marie, given her love of logic and puzzles and her tendency to communicate oddly.

But did Marie exist at the time that was written?

...wibbly wobbly timey wimey?
Louisa

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Kinda glad I got delayed answering this one...

"Something missing" was meant for Hank, but definitely meant to evoke the asexual theme. Hank certainly hasn't had a non-beard relationship in college and while we tend to think "oh, those desires are still in you, Hank, you're just burying them," people really do lose interest in sex for a variety of reasons. We would've teased you about Hank's true nature in the "A" chapter.

"Have you ever had to fight" was Hank to Lisa, once their relationship (non-sexual, naturally) reached a certain point.

And "taste like math" was Lisa at her most obsessive, as she is right now, pretty much.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm

TCampbell wrote:

Kinda glad I got delayed answering this one...

"Something missing" was meant for Hank, but definitely meant to evoke the asexual theme. Hank certainly hasn't had a non-beard relationship in college and while we tend to think "oh, those desires are still in you, Hank, you're just burying them," people really do lose interest in sex for a variety of reasons. We would've teased you about Hank's true nature in the "A" chapter.

"Have you ever had to fight" was Hank to Lisa, once their relationship (non-sexual, naturally) reached a certain point.

And "taste like math" was Lisa at her most obsessive, as she is right now, pretty much.

I just want to state for the record that I called asexual!Hank aaaaaaaaaages age, nearly from the beginning. Permission to be smug?

Captain LeBubbles

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm

TCampbell wrote:

Except for the fact that Jade wasn't even a "twinkle in your eye" (as they say) when you came up with this line, I could see Lisa saying this to Jade after a snogging session, since Jade was in a mathy/sciency major. Which amuses me.
Alice Macher wrote:CJ gets a shiny, gold-plated Internet and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

Hexr wrote:I think I'm in love with you, CJ. Hope you don't mind.
CJ

Postby FarkUp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Wait, I feel a bit confused. When did you decide to not finish QUILTBAG? Are you going to be completely done with it after chapter U?
FarkUp

Postby Ameyal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 pm

This one caught my interest.

TCampbell wrote:These were in the notes! I tend to name any characters who get more than a line or two of dialogue, if only to make it easier to refer to them in script descriptions. Those names can be tossed off the cuff if I don't envision much of a place for the characters. If I had it all to do over again I probably wouldn't have named "Fred and Daphne" that.

Just curious, but, what would you have named them then? (Fred and Daphne, that is... Hope the answer is not Shaggy and Velma.)
Keep smiling! It makes people wonder what you've been up to :D

Shameless Plug-in :D
Ameyal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion