QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

Postby TCampbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 am

Valerie wrote:In light of your recent announcement... Can you give us an idea of what your plans were for the forum-based characters, if you had plans for them yet? We've seen a little of Marie, Michael, and Jade, but I think that's about it.

Edit: If it's something you'll cover before the comic ends, please exclude it from your answer. :P

But please confirm that Val has a harem. And that the forum member characters are in it. I need this to be canon. D:

Ronnie was to leave campus, but we'd catch up with him briefly when we least expected it, a bit like Rich in "The New Reality."

Michael and Marie were to be together, and that's about all I had for them.

Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment. Hey, she just got to college a month ago, and she's not unfaithful.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:20 am

neru wrote:Since the comic is going to end soon, can I please know who Sara's girlfriend is at the time of the P&A reunion.

Thank you

This is one question I'm not sure I can answer. I had several candidates in mind, including people we hadn't met yet (and who were barely sketched), Temperance (eventually) and Lucy (long story). But Sara's journey is one of self-discovery and frequent uncertainty, and I didn't have the identity of her partner completely nailed down at any time. I did think, though, that she would have one, that such status would be part of an end to the journey.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby LookingIn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 pm

TCampbell wrote:Ronnie was to leave campus, but we'd catch up with him briefly when we least expected it, a bit like Rich in "The New Reality."

Was Ronnie's leaving campus voluntarily like for treatment or was he suspended/expelled/sent to jail?
LookingIn

Postby Valerie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:26 pm

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment. Hey, she just got to college a month ago, and she's not unfaithful.

X3 This is so signature material.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby TCampbell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 pm

LookingIn wrote:
TCampbell wrote:Ronnie was to leave campus, but we'd catch up with him briefly when we least expected it, a bit like Rich in "The New Reality."

Was Ronnie's leaving campus voluntarily like for treatment or was he suspended/expelled/sent to jail?

It's pretty much only a matter of time before he's expelled. There's paperwork and all, but you just cannot have students attacking each other unto unconsciousness in the dorms. You can't. Ronnie won't face criminal charges, but his actions are not without consequences.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby FarkUp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Have you considered making a Cast page?

The whole reason I ask is because if I hadn't read the forum topic, I wouldn't have recognized Elizabeth in the last panel of the update.
FarkUp

Postby TCampbell » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 am

FarkUp wrote:Have you considered making a Cast page?

The whole reason I ask is because if I hadn't read the forum topic, I wouldn't have recognized Elizabeth in the last panel of the update.

At this point, I don't think I'll be bothering. In fairly short order, the people who read this will be doing archive dives only. For any future series, absolutely.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Freemage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am

TCampbell wrote:

At this point, I don't think I'll be bothering. In fairly short order, the people who read this will be doing archive dives only. For any future series, absolutely.

The question has come up in various other threads: Will you be keeping this particular forum open?
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Alice Macher » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Would it be possible for you, at some point after QUILTBAG ends, to replace the current drop-down archive menu with something that more easily helps us to locate particular past strips? Right now the menu lists all the strips solely by number, and the only guide to "where the heck is this in the archive" is the "Part Two 'U'" label. That hasn't been much help, even for someone like me who has reasonably good archive-fu. :)

As an alternative to going through and labelling each strip, after the fact, with a title or representative line of dialogue (as in the Mà3 drop-down archive for example), which I acknowledge would be very time-consuming, perhaps you could have the good folks at Keenspot set up something like what Cool Cat Studio now has, i.e. an archive page with clickable thumbnails?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby perilsofrosella » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 pm

T, in the course of writing P&A and QUILTBAG, did you ever end up hating a character (creatively speaking)? If I'm not being clear, was there someone who was difficult to write, or that you wished you hadn't included at all?

Also, is there a letter that you wish you could "skip to", and write about?
perilsofrosella

Postby TCampbell » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:59 am

Freemage wrote:
TCampbell wrote:

The question has come up in various other threads: Will you be keeping this particular forum open?

Yes, although there will be some changes. I feel like it's become half a general discussion forum already, so I'm renaming it as such, and reworking the rules a bit to more explicitly allow "off-topic" discussion (there can only be so much ON-topic discussion after next week!). The URL will probably change eventually as my plans firm up. And I'll be introducing some new threads here after next week. If it stays active, I'll continue to use it as a sort of "base of operations" and announce new stuff here first. I don't know if the community will or can continue without a regular comics series as an anchor, but let's give it a shot!
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 am

Alice Macher wrote:Would it be possible for you, at some point after QUILTBAG ends, to replace the current drop-down archive menu with something that more easily helps us to locate particular past strips? Right now the menu lists all the strips solely by number, and the only guide to "where the heck is this in the archive" is the "Part Two 'U'" label. That hasn't been much help, even for someone like me who has reasonably good archive-fu. :)

As an alternative to going through and labelling each strip, after the fact, with a title or representative line of dialogue (as in the Mà3 drop-down archive for example), which I acknowledge would be very time-consuming, perhaps you could have the good folks at Keenspot set up something like what Cool Cat Studio now has, i.e. an archive page with clickable thumbnails?

Well, not THAT time-consuming. I can probably knock it out in a couple of hours. I will be cleaning up some of my online "mess" during the relative down-time after QUILTBAG is finished, and will make plans to handle it then.

(TCampbell.net, in particular, needs an update...)
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 am

perilsofrosella wrote:T, in the course of writing P&A and QUILTBAG, did you ever end up hating a character (creatively speaking)? If I'm not being clear, was there someone who was difficult to write, or that you wished you hadn't included at all?

Pretty much the only brand-new characters I found easy to write (usually) were Hank, Leah, Chrissie and Jade. The other girls from LAZ weren't too bad, but Temperance, Michael, Bernie, Clarice, Marie and Ronnie felt like pulling an Ottoman uphill. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't do the hard work of getting to know them, and getting all the way inside their heads, that I did with most Penny and Aggie characters (even relatively late additions like the cast of Hot Lights). This is all relative, I should add: my struggles with QUILTBAG overall meant that even Sara and Lisa were tougher than they had been. (I do feel like at least some of those characters were ultimately dragged to a fairly satisfying final moment in the series; I'll let you decide which.)

perilsofrosella wrote:Also, is there a letter that you wish you could "skip to", and write about?

Right now I'm just relieved not to have to fight this project any more: it was getting that hard. I was harboring a few ideas for most of the remaining letters which would've been fun for some pages, though in my current opinion, they were not enough to hang a chapter on. "I," in addition to a single intersex character, was to include some Rashomon-like narrative and the final planned appearance (not chronologically, but actually) of Penny and Aggie, who made plans to visit their respective best friends from high school on the same weekend. "L" would include the return of both LAZ and Lucy. However, realizing that I was mostly looking forward to bringing back old Penny and Aggie material, and to the general idea of an Asexual or Bisexual chapter, rather than any specific new characters or plots, ultimately convinced me the series had to go.

A bit of a digression: I regret that the letter theme got quite as much attention as it did, as early as it did. I think that if the chapters had been shorter and more focused, and if the series had been more conceptually rich like most of my best work is, the alliteration would've just seemed to happen naturally all the time: as it is I think I managed to pull that "natural feeling" off sometimes but not enough.

The trick is to have enough patience to generate multiple natural-sounding dialogue options from the characters, until you have something which meets all your other requirements... and not to make those requirements too crazy: an "X" or "Z" chapter might've included an X or Z in every strip without necessarily using it to lead every strip. If I had to do "Q" over again, much as the challenge appealed to me at first, I might've loosened its requirements. I feel like Fans' "Crossover" was an example of this kind of thing done right, with enough patience put into the dialogue to make the language play feel natural and fun, but impatience was kind of a theme for my work on this series.

I still think that using monograms and alliteration as literary symbolism is an interesting and under-explored device, but I'll probably have to give it a rest for a while after this, before bringing it back in a quieter way.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Lia S » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:29 am

What were your plans with Dani, Anne-Elaine, Jules, Alex and Bob?
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby thebitterfig » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 am

TCampbell wrote:...and the final planned appearance (not chronologically, but actually) of Penny and Aggie, who made plans to visit their respective best friends from high school on the same weekend.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: How can you tell is that and not deliver! Bad T! Just don't tell us about something like that.... It's like saying "your lottery ticket was completely destroyed, but don't worry, it only one $100,000 not the multi-millions."

*goes off to sulk.*
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion