QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

Postby Azrael44 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:39 am

Okay so people in the P & A "Ask T Questions" thread were asking for one for the QUILTBAG comic so here you go. Ask your QUILTBAG questions here. This will have to be stickied of course.
"A friend is one who stabs you in the front"~ O. Wilde

Politics: n. pl. From the Gk "polus" meaning many and the OE "ticia" meaning bloodsucking insect.
Azrael44

Location: The dark side of the moon, where the red fern grows

Re: QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

Postby Sri » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm guessing that a thread for questions will eventually open up in the top section (or maybe wait until the new strip has its own forum). However I will put this here. What is the deal with Iseul's name? Meighan says Ms. Kwan in P&A but Sara refers to it as Quon in Quiltbag and the many permutations possible have been referenced in the discussion thread. I think there was a mention of it again in P&A hyphenated with Velte (don't remember if this was referring to the household or if it said as though her mom had hyphenated) but that is very hazy on my part and I might be imagining it. So why the discrepancy between Meighan's speech and Sara's thoughts?
If men had wings and bore black feathers few of them would be clever enough to be crows. - Henry Beecher
Sri

Postby TCampbell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Sri wrote:I'm guessing that a thread for questions will eventually open up in the top section (or maybe wait until the new strip has its own forum). However I will put this here. What is the deal with Iseul's name? Meighan says Ms. Kwan in P&A but Sara refers to it as Quon in Quiltbag and the many permutations possible have been referenced in the discussion thread. I think there was a mention of it again in P&A hyphenated with Velte (don't remember if this was referring to the household or if it said as though her mom had hyphenated) but that is very hazy on my part and I might be imagining it. So why the discrepancy between Meighan's speech and Sara's thoughts?

I don't think there was ever a hyphenated form for Iseul's last name. But with regard to "Quan" vs. "Kwan," basically, I screwed up. I originally proceeded from the assumption that since Iseul is a Korean-speaker from South Korea, that there was no true standard English spelling of her name. I'm sorry it took me this long to correct it. It's getting fixed now.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby sfk » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey T,

I'm really happy you took reader feedback into consideration regarding the names! Thank you! :)

Not to continue being an insufferable pain in the ass, but I'm still wondering about the spelling of Iseul's last name. Currently, it's "Kwan"--still a Chinese last name. Would it be too much trouble to change it to "Kwon?" I made a quick infographic below explaining the rationale behind my request, as best I could:

If it is too much trouble to retcon at this point, I guess I'd be okay with the explanation that Iseul's parents are ethnically Chinese but live in Korea or that her immigration papers got screwed up somehow and she never bothered to correct it. Unless there's some other reason...?
sfk

Postby showler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 am

Is there a URL for QUILTBAG?

Getting it through pennyandaggie.com is nice, but I'd expect you'd want one for marketing and so that pennyandaggie.com can be optimized for that strips archives.
showler

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 am

sfk wrote:Hey T,

I'm really happy you took reader feedback into consideration regarding the names! Thank you! :)

Not to continue being an insufferable pain in the ass, but I'm still wondering about the spelling of Iseul's last name. Currently, it's "Kwan"--still a Chinese last name. Would it be too much trouble to change it to "Kwon?" I made a quick infographic below explaining the rationale behind my request, as best I could:

If it is too much trouble to retcon at this point, I guess I'd be okay with the explanation that Iseul's parents are ethnically Chinese but live in Korea or that her immigration papers got screwed up somehow and she never bothered to correct it. Unless there's some other reason...?

With all due respect, "Kwan" is listed by multiple sources as a name with a Korean origin (albeit often as a first name for boys or girls) or a Korean "variant" of "Kwon." Since the name was given as "Kwan" in an earlier Penny and Aggie without provoking commentary, and since I'd rather not correct something twice unless it's really, indisputably wrong, I'm gonna leave it as it is.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 am

showler wrote:Is there a URL for QUILTBAG?

Getting it through pennyandaggie.com is nice, but I'd expect you'd want one for marketing and so that pennyandaggie.com can be optimized for that strips archives.

Soon.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Who's doing the colouring for Quiltbag? I like it.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Who's doing the colouring for Quiltbag? I like it.

That would be Jason himself.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

I see. Thanks. Only reason I was wondering was that you'd said, back in the Behind the Screens preview, that one of the reasons you hadn't yet decided on colour was that it'd be an additional expense. So I figured that meant either you'd be paying Jason extra, or (if he were concerned about getting it all done in time with that extra step) paying someone else to colour his line art.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Freemage » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Alice Macher wrote:I see. Thanks. Only reason I was wondering was that you'd said, back in the Behind the Screens preview, that one of the reasons you hadn't yet decided on colour was that it'd be an additional expense. So I figured that meant either you'd be paying Jason extra, or (if he were concerned about getting it all done in time with that extra step) paying someone else to colour his line art.

Of course, there's also the possibility that Jason decided he preferred color because he's just that awesome. :wink:
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Sara's dorm co-ed or regular?

That, and what level of...selectiveness is Sara's university, from a scale of 1 to 10?

10 being Vassar, Rice, and most Ivy-League level private universities. 1 being Faber College from National Lampoon's Animal House.
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm

You'll soon see about the co-ed thing. But the selectivity is... I wanna say 8?
TCampbell
Site Admin

I'd take Lisa as a roomie too, actually

Postby bunnyThor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 pm

How desperate was Sara for a known evil that she requested that Lisa be her roomie instead of the luck of the draw? :D
bunnyThor

Re: I'd take Lisa as a roomie too, actually

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

bunnyThor wrote:How desperate was Sara for a known evil that she requested that Lisa be her roomie instead of the luck of the draw? :D

Fairly. :)

Lisa may be... mega-ultra-obnoxious, at times... but she is Sara's friend, and she's always proven that in a pinch. Sara's had enough bad experiences with people that she doesn't want to room with any more strangers if she can help it.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion