POLL: En-TITLE-ment

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

What should the spinoff be called?

Masked Memer: The Early Years
2
5%
I Loved Lucy
10
26%
Kinklemeyer: Lisa Steps Out
10
26%
Midriff Fetish Fuel, or, I Hope for Her Sake Sara's Going to School Somewhere Warm
3
8%
Lisara: Two Great Tastes, Together at Last!
12
32%
Alice, I could pull a better title out of my ass. And that title is...
1
3%
 
Total votes : 38

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Lia S » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 am

FlyingFish wrote:Jokes aside, asexuality seems a likely topic, if only because T has already covered everything else I can think of. In P&A alone we have three lesbians (four if you count Meighan as a castmember), a gay man, a bisexual, a "straight plus one", a bicurious, a "screw labels", and whatever Stan is. Add Fans! and we have an omnisexual and a triad with BSDM. Add Ma3 and...

Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


So, it's either asexuality, or... be afraid, be VERY afraid?
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
User avatar
Lia S
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Hexr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 am

Lia S wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:Jokes aside, asexuality seems a likely topic, if only because T has already covered everything else I can think of. In P&A alone we have three lesbians (four if you count Meighan as a castmember), a gay man, a bisexual, a "straight plus one", a bicurious, a "screw labels", and whatever Stan is. Add Fans! and we have an omnisexual and a triad with BSDM. Add Ma3 and...

Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


So, it's either asexuality, or... be afraid, be VERY afraid?

your post made me shiver with frightened anticipation.
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
User avatar
Hexr
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Hexr wrote:
Lia S wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:Jokes aside, asexuality seems a likely topic, if only because T has already covered everything else I can think of. In P&A alone we have three lesbians (four if you count Meighan as a castmember), a gay man, a bisexual, a "straight plus one", a bicurious, a "screw labels", and whatever Stan is. Add Fans! and we have an omnisexual and a triad with BSDM. Add Ma3 and...

Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


So, it's either asexuality, or... be afraid, be VERY afraid?

your post made me shiver with frightened anticipation.


...dammit, now I'm having h-game flashbacks, and the ones I've played never had either participant be in that state. Now look what you did! XD :twisted:

Edit: Also, I'm going with "Lisa steps out." Just kind of feels right, considering her. Like she's always trying to "step out" of her comfort zone.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
User avatar
Zanosuke Kurosaki
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:57 pm

FlyingFish wrote:Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


To clarify: the full context of T's post to which I linked is as follows:

TCampbell wrote:This spinoff, I want to be about alternate sexuality, as Penny and Aggie was primarily about youth (and just had a lot of alternate sexuality in it).


So T's not necessarily saying the comic will be all "Hey hey there's lots of alternative sexuality here," nor that every strip will be about it in some blatantly obvious way, any more than Penny and Aggie went out of its way to remind us at every step that "Hey hey this is a youth comic with youths in it and it deals with youth issues of youth." :D Knowing T, who isn't generally one for knocking readers over the head with messages, symbolism, character motivations and such (indeed, the most common criticism of his writing is that he doesn't always make things obvious enough), I'd wager that the strip will treat the theme more like the way you correctly say it should be treated.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4626
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby darklion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 pm

The spinoff should be titled "Totally Gay".

Homage a David Willis, of course.
You will however contemplate bleating like a goat for IRONICALLY HUMOROUS purposes at a later date.
User avatar
darklion
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 am

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Tamar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Triads and Tribads. That's it's name now. I decree it.

(Ohgod even if I'd never heard of P&A I would read the hell outta that >.< )
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.


Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
User avatar
Tamar
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Toronto

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Kamino Neko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes. That one is perfect. T, go with it!
Can you hear me boy? Your devil is here!

Valerie wrote:You're in my harem, right? :oops:
User avatar
Kamino Neko
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby darklion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Tamar wrote:Triads and Tribads. That's it's name now. I decree it.

(Ohgod even if I'd never heard of P&A I would read the hell outta that >.< )


That's too close to Ménage-à-3. And sort of girl-oriented, although I know that this comic probably will be.
You will however contemplate bleating like a goat for IRONICALLY HUMOROUS purposes at a later date.
User avatar
darklion
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 am

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:55 pm

No, "Tribade à 3" would be too close. :P
User avatar
Bo Lindbergh
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: 59°20'N 18°03'E

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Tamar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 pm

darklion wrote:That's too close to Ménage-à-3. And sort of girl-oriented, although I know that this comic probably will be.


Fair enough. Hmm...if T hadn't already ruled out a location-based title, then given that he says it takes place at a "somewhat special campus," I'd have to nominate Kamino Neko's freaking BRILLIANT name from the Complete the Sentence thread: Bad Bad Bad University.

(Think about it for a moment. It'll come to you.)
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.


Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
User avatar
Tamar
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Toronto

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby darklion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Tamar wrote:Fair enough. Hmm...if T hadn't already ruled out a location-based title, then given that he says it takes place at a "somewhat special campus," I'd have to nominate Kamino Neko's freaking BRILLIANT name from the Complete the Sentence thread: Bad Bad Bad University.

(Think about it for a moment. It'll come to you.)


Could have a lot of fun with the logos for that one.
You will however contemplate bleating like a goat for IRONICALLY HUMOROUS purposes at a later date.
User avatar
darklion
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 am

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby NobodySpecial » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:33 pm

If I had to be serious about it...

Well, I do. My snark is exhausted on this particular day.

I'd go with 'Questioning.'
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
User avatar
NobodySpecial
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Valerie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

"That's So Straight." GET IT LIKE how straight people say gay instead of straight because it's homophobic...

FlyingFish wrote:Jokes aside, asexuality seems a likely topic, if only because T has already covered everything else I can think of. In P&A alone we have three lesbians (four if you count Meighan as a castmember), a gay man, a bisexual, a "straight plus one", a bicurious, a "screw labels", and whatever Stan is. Add Fans! and we have an omnisexual and a triad with BSDM. Add Ma3 and...

Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


I honestly would like to see some asexuals, demi-sexuals, etc. The ones that no one seems to really touch on, y'know? They don't get enough attention.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out your sexual orientation assignments here.
three lesbians: Sara, Daphne, Aggie (with Mar as an exception, apparently)
gay man: Fred
a bisexual: ...Cyndi? (She said she didn't identify as one, but who knows if she was honest)
a "straight plus one": Penny
a bicurious: ...Cyndi? (Again, who knows.)
a "screw labels": Lisa. <3
Stan: Stan

So I guess it's just the bisexual/bicurious that's throwing me off.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.


TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.


Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
User avatar
Valerie
 
Posts: 3780
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby Alice Macher » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Valerie wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:and whatever Stan is.


Stan: Stan


I still suspect Stan is essentially straight, despite the Rich-idolization, the cracks we make here in the forum, and hell, even the cracks Fred and Michelle make. Apart from that one specifically homoerotic fantasy Stan had about him, I don't see the pattern of same-sex attraction (to varying degrees) that we saw with Sara, Aggie and Penny (Fred and Daphne having both apparently known where they stood well before the comic began, thus we didn't need to be shown their coming-out process.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4626
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: POLL: En-TITLE-ment

Postby MudFlap33 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Valerie wrote:"That's So Straight." GET IT LIKE how straight people say gay instead of straight because it's homophobic...

FlyingFish wrote:Jokes aside, asexuality seems a likely topic, if only because T has already covered everything else I can think of. In P&A alone we have three lesbians (four if you count Meighan as a castmember), a gay man, a bisexual, a "straight plus one", a bicurious, a "screw labels", and whatever Stan is. Add Fans! and we have an omnisexual and a triad with BSDM. Add Ma3 and...

Really, T's works have never been wanting for alternative sexuality. To have a comic that "focuses" on it seems redundant to me... Of course, my view has always been that, if you want to make something acceptable, DON'T make a big deal of it; throw it in almost as an aside and have everyone treat it as completely mundane, because your point is that it should be normal.


I honestly would like to see some asexuals, demi-sexuals, etc. The ones that no one seems to really touch on, y'know? They don't get enough attention.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out your sexual orientation assignments here.
three lesbians: Sara, Daphne, Aggie (with Mar as an exception, apparently)
gay man: Fred
a bisexual: ...Cyndi? (She said she didn't identify as one, but who knows if she was honest)
a "straight plus one": Penny
a bicurious: ...Cyndi? (Again, who knows.)
a "screw labels": Lisa. <3
Stan: Stan

So I guess it's just the bisexual/bicurious that's throwing me off.


I thought the bisexual was Lucy. Though Cyndi could apply, too, I suppose.
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
User avatar
MudFlap33
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Recent Boston transplant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests