Facial hair on the guys

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Besides Rich, which of the guys will grow facial hair next?

Stan -- pencil thin mustaches will come back into style, right?
1
5%
Jack -- it will look pretty harsh when he's driving the porcelain bus, though.
5
25%
Meg's hopeless puppy (Biff?) -- permanent five o'clock shadow sells more J. Crew shirts
2
10%
Duane -- a Nation of Islam goatee maybe?
6
30%
Fred -- a la the biker from the Village People
4
20%
Marshall -- just to prove that he has the hormones
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Facial hair on the guys

Postby Papuasblya » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:41 am

I'm not saying it will look good on them, but at some point most guys try it out in high school or college. Who'll go next?
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
User avatar
Papuasblya
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:03 pm

I put Jack.

1: Darker hair usually goes with more hirsute.

2: Marshall's testosterone was obviously surgically removed.

3: Stan's unlikely to allow any sort of facial hair unless it can come in stylishly.

4: Duane's got the wrong build for sporting facial hair (stockiness is going to be more common for the bearded set).
User avatar
Freemage
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Papuasblya » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:19 am

Freemage wrote:I put Jack.

1: Darker hair usually goes with more hirsute.

2: Marshall's testosterone was obviously surgically removed.

3: Stan's unlikely to allow any sort of facial hair unless it can come in stylishly.

4: Duane's got the wrong build for sporting facial hair (stockiness is going to be more common for the bearded set).


And 5. Jack's already going bald so it's likely he's got the highest testosterone count of all of them.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
User avatar
Papuasblya
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Yuck.

Postby Shmey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 am

I'm not a fan of facial hair. I had a mustache for a week once. Yeah, you're not supposed to shave when you have stitches...

I certainly wouldn't have one of my own without good reason. I guess it's okay if other people like small mammals growing on their faces. I'd rather not, if I have a choice.
Hang on, Leetah! And if he tries to bite -- BITE HIM BACK!
Shmey
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:23 am

Postby Freemage » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 am

I'd have to shave twice daily if I didn't have a beard; it happens like that when all your heritage can be traced back to the North Sea. Facial hair is simply a way to survive winter on a fjord, I think.

Of course, it helps in Chicago, too. :roll:
User avatar
Freemage
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby daanton » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 pm

For a while, I myself toyed with the idea of growing myself a moustache, and then on a later time, with growing a goatee.

Let me tell you, if you're already used to shaving everything on your face, you'll find even for one day or two if you wanted a moustache or beard, you'll be shaving it off asap. Simply because, if you're not used to simply having a moustache or beard, you'll find it's very hard to maintain and keep proper.

So if you're already shaving to keep a clean face, keep doing so--you'll be saving yourself a whole lot of trouble!
User avatar
daanton
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Canada

Postby Freemage » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:40 pm

daanton wrote:For a while, I myself toyed with the idea of growing myself a moustache, and then on a later time, with growing a goatee.

Let me tell you, if you're already used to shaving everything on your face, you'll find even for one day or two if you wanted a moustache or beard, you'll be shaving it off asap. Simply because, if you're not used to simply having a moustache or beard, you'll find it's very hard to maintain and keep proper.

So if you're already shaving to keep a clean face, keep doing so--you'll be saving yourself a whole lot of trouble!


Eh. It's not that tough--mainly a matter of learning to use shampoo on your beard; trimming once every week or two is far easier than shaving every day. The big issue is, can you grow a proper one fast enough in the first place? Some guys simply don't have the genes for it, just like some of us don't have the genes for maintaining a thick head of hair. If you're trying to grow any sort of facial hair and don't have the right oomph, you end up looking like you don't know the proper use of soap, or like a catapillar died on your lip. And, even if you eventually manage to get a decent length, any mistakes in grooming make your face look lopsided for a week (on the other hand, my occasional missteps in trimming have usually been erased in a day or two).
User avatar
Freemage
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby daanton » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Freemage wrote:
daanton wrote:For a while, I myself toyed with the idea of growing myself a moustache, and then on a later time, with growing a goatee.

Let me tell you, if you're already used to shaving everything on your face, you'll find even for one day or two if you wanted a moustache or beard, you'll be shaving it off asap. Simply because, if you're not used to simply having a moustache or beard, you'll find it's very hard to maintain and keep proper.

So if you're already shaving to keep a clean face, keep doing so--you'll be saving yourself a whole lot of trouble!


Eh. It's not that tough--mainly a matter of learning to use shampoo on your beard; trimming once every week or two is far easier than shaving every day. The big issue is, can you grow a proper one fast enough in the first place? Some guys simply don't have the genes for it, just like some of us don't have the genes for maintaining a thick head of hair. If you're trying to grow any sort of facial hair and don't have the right oomph, you end up looking like you don't know the proper use of soap, or like a catapillar died on your lip. And, even if you eventually manage to get a decent length, any mistakes in grooming make your face look lopsided for a week (on the other hand, my occasional missteps in trimming have usually been erased in a day or two).

Exactly my point.

So instead I now simply concentrate on maintaining a clean face, that having a moustache or beard is only fleeting.
User avatar
daanton
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Canada

Postby iRobot » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Freemage wrote:I'd have to shave twice daily if I didn't have a beard; it happens like that when all your heritage can be traced back to the North Sea. Facial hair is simply a way to survive winter on a fjord, I think.

Of course, it helps in Chicago, too. :roll:


Not so much in Florida, though. :(

Though I only have to shave once a day (my ancestors hail from slightly more southerly regions), it's still a pain. So I have a beard more out of laziness than design. Though, when I do commit to shaving, it's only to get the goatee/moustache (when I was 20, I looked 14 whilst clean-shaven--now, I'd just look like a dork :D ).
Kyn, aka Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion
-----
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution."
-- Caractacus Pott, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
User avatar
iRobot
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Yuck.

Postby Papuasblya » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:08 am

Shmey wrote:I'm not a fan of facial hair. I had a mustache for a week once. Yeah, you're not supposed to shave when you have stitches...

I certainly wouldn't have one of my own without good reason. I guess it's okay if other people like small mammals growing on their faces. I'd rather not, if I have a choice.


I'm not saying mine looks good on me. I just wear it because with a face like mine, I can't trust myself with sharp objects pointed towards my face and neck first thing in the morning.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
User avatar
Papuasblya
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby Lamey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 am

I only have to shave once a week or so (no testosterone for the win :p )

I tend to end up with facial hair simply because it's hard to make a habit of something that I need to do so infrequently. (and I'm lazy)
Lamey
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:34 am

Postby oddtail » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Meh, facial hair is neat. There's few things sexier than a guy with a goatee (and I'm not saying it because I've a goatee myself - that could be argued to be a counterargument to that, at least for some people ;) ).
User avatar
oddtail
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Postby daanton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:40 pm

oddtail wrote:Meh, facial hair is neat. There's few things sexier than a guy with a goatee (and I'm not saying it because I've a goatee myself - that could be argued to be a counterargument to that, at least for some people ;) ).

And there are such people... :)
User avatar
daanton
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:33 pm
Location: Canada


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 6 guests

cron