The Best-Music-No-One's-Heard Thread, Part II

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: The Best-Music-No-One's-Heard Thread, Part II

Postby Minty » Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Boards of Canada - Aquarius - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg-iKP0zI9Q

Balmorhea - Remembrance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssvKz1oaWk

Ojos de Brujo - Todo Tiende - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqPDlgKQ80

Also, first forum post. Whoo!
Minty

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Fri May 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Let's exercise some US regional stereotypes with Freeway to Stairbird.
Bo Lindbergh

Postby Valerie » Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 pm

I mentioned Meg & Dia waaaaay back near the beginning of this thread. Dia also does her own stuff. Two of her songs that I just found are about a friend of hers that was molested by a neighbor and another friend of hers that... read the description.

This is why I love Meg & Dia, though. Even after Dia was on The Voice and got a huge surge in popularity, she continued to write painful songs instead of switching all the focus to poppy-tune-twue-wuv.

I don't hate love songs, but there's a serious overabundance of them.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Alice Macher » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:20 pm

The Squirrel Nut Zippers are a swing revival/alternative band that hit it big in the late nineties. From their 1998 album Perennial Favorites, here's "Ghost of Stephen Foster." (It actually sounds more like neo-klezmer than neo-swing to me, but then klezmer and jazz have long had a close relationship.) The video is a pastiche of several Max and Dave Fleischer Betty Boop cartoons, right down to a retro-monochrome live action opening showing singer/guitarist Jimbo Mathus "conducting" the band while dancing like Cab Calloway (as Calloway does in the opening sequence of 1932's "Minnie the Moocher"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sxFyu_U2go
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:21 pm

While I haven't had the chance to play this game yet (it's a bit lower down on my backlog of games for the Wii), this song from No More Heroes 2 has been popping up in the back of my head here and there for the last week and a half(that's what I get for keeping up with the Let's Play of it :roll: ). So, I give you the theme of Margaret Moonlight:
Philistine
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby NobodySpecial » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:32 pm

And I dreamed I was dying
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly....
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby NobodySpecial » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am

Once, in the early seventies, there was a band. Born in the shadow of the Queen of England, a power trio led by a bespectacled, squeaky voiced bassist, creating sludgy proto-metal with Zeppelinesque passages, frequent time changes, and oblique lyrics.

Rush? What Rush? I was talking about Budgie.

Breadfan
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby Muttley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Of course you were. An interesting video showing that, shorn of the prancing, posing and profundity, there is a strong underlying musicianship behind heavy metal, and that the costumes, stage displays and outrageous behaviour are mostly just an act to draw in the punters.

Rush are more SF, though.
Muttley

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm

A somewhat liberal translation of sir Noël Coward's "There Are Bad Times Just Around the Corner", featuring three rich twits lamenting the sacrifices they'd have to make if the economic crisis actually arrived. You know, stop eating salmon and maybe even flee to Monaco.

I morgon kommer säkert krisen
Bo Lindbergh

Postby child-of-fae » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Artemisia wrote:EA has such an anger to her music, I love it. I have her recent concert on my computer :)

oh man, i haven't listened to her in years.
way to make me feel nostalgic about her better days. :P
child-of-fae

Postby Trefle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Passion Pit. Okay, maybe not exactly 'No One', but..
http://gossamer.passionpitmusic.com/

It's.....wonderful.
Loud, bright electronica (pop?), with influences of pop, some R&B, and catchy tunes.
And if it's not your thing, do not let the cheery tunes and saccharine beats lull you; all of them has plenty of depth, plenty of.. this ... repressed quality. Almost like something that will explode.

Which would be awful for the artist, but for the music? Brilliant.

I'd maybe try to listen to all of the links here someday. :P
Trefle

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:23 am

While the music this is from has been heard before, I would imagine the only time it's been heard anywhere like this is when someone has played it on an emulator, with their bastard of a friend speeding up the game to nearly unplayable levels (I've seen that happen before - it was hilariously bad.)

I give you - Super Mario, classical style.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 am

So I recently started getting into Phish. They've been around for ages, but still damn good.

This year's Worchester Roses Are Free, first time they really jammed it somewhere special in probably a decade.

A glorious old long-intro Piper (with the last few bars of Black-Eyed Katy). The journey is the destination.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby svenman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Far from fitting the bill of "no-one's heard", this one has been a big classic in the French-speaking world for many years. Still, I suppose there are many on this forum who don't yet know this weirdly poetic bitter-sweet song about a love that cannot be, so if I can't get it ouf of my head these days, why should I spare you?

Francis Cabrel - L'encre de tes yeux

(Link to the lyrics with English translation here)
svenman

Postby Valerie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 am

I know Meg & Dia are the only ones I ever talk about, but there's a reason for that. I'm really into this song right now, for some reason.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion