Revenge of Ask T Questions

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 am

When will you be sending Plus subscribers the promised info about the new "individually set up" options? And can you give us a general idea of what sort of content this new Plus will have, now the annotations are done?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Alice Macher wrote:When will you be sending Plus subscribers the promised info about the new "individually set up" options? And can you give us a general idea of what sort of content this new Plus will have, now the annotations are done?

It would've been yesterday, had my laptop not died almost immediately after I announced QUILTBAG's impending end on Twitter. It will get done today.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 pm

TCampbell wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:When will you be sending Plus subscribers the promised info about the new "individually set up" options? And can you give us a general idea of what sort of content this new Plus will have, now the annotations are done?

It would've been yesterday, had my laptop not died almost immediately after I announced QUILTBAG's impending end on Twitter. It will get done today.

Augh, make that first thing tomorrow for some of you. Stupid body's falling asleep.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby LookingIn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:41 pm

About how much time elapsed during the course of the strip from the first to the end of "The Last Summer of Youth"?
LookingIn

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 pm

LookingIn wrote:About how much time elapsed during the course of the strip from the first to the end of "The Last Summer of Youth"?

The end end of it, or the part just before "Six Septembers Later?"

Most of Penny and Aggie covers about 2 years and 5 months. Penny's first serious clash with Aggie took place when both were freshmen, fairly late in the school year: "The Best of Enemies" jumps to summer vacation in its first third. The next summer vacation is covered in the close of "Bridge Out," all of "Live Free of Dye" and the early "Popsicle War." The next summer after that is the eponymous "Last Summer of Youth."

If you want to be strict about it, "Six Septembers" pushes the total to 8 years and 6 months.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby perilsofrosella » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Aside from Katy-Ann and Jack, do you know what characters had kids? What their names/genders are? Or is that waaaaaay too fan ficcy a question? :3

Bonus points: What would Aggie like to name a kid, and what would Penny?
perilsofrosella

Postby TCampbell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:48 am

perilsofrosella wrote:Aside from Katy-Ann and Jack, do you know what characters had kids? What their names/genders are? Or is that waaaaaay too fan ficcy a question? :3

Bonus points: What would Aggie like to name a kid, and what would Penny?

I prefer to trail most of my imaginings off after "Six Septembers," because the ambiguity of what happens after that is something I don't want to touch.

However, if I think about it in terms of likelihood of having kids, I'd say that the one closest to certainty is Duane. He'd definitely want to pass his knowledge along to another generation. He'd go with "Apollo" or "Diana." Stan would be likely to have kids either within a long-term relationship or outside of one.-=s-osdnnjgn

Also likely: Bob, Omar, Michelle, Brandi (after her most active years), Fred, Darren Danforth, Samantha, Penny (eventually).

Coin-toss: Aggie, Nick (again-- most likely by inheriting them through a new marriage or permanent relationship), Karen, Helen, Sara.

Unlikely: Lisa, Meg, Marshall, Daphne, Charlotte.

Virtually impossible: Rob and Lynda (again), Cyndi, Charisma (again), Charles.

You'll note that a couple of potential couples have differing probabilities. It'd be something to discuss for Michelle and Marshall, as well as for Penny and Aggie.

Popular baby-name trends change quickly these days, in response to popular movies and TV shows and stars, and Penny seems likely to be caught up in that sort of thing. It's impossible to say who'd be prominent by the time she got around to naming her kids, but "Justin" for boys and "Emma" for girls would be good choices today: echoed in the popular consciousness but not too strongly identified with one source like "Bella." Aggie would prefer slightly-hippie names like "Melody" and (ironically) "Charisma:" I'd say "Harmony" for a girl and "Uhuru" for a boy. If they end up together and adopt a newborn, you can expect some discussions.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby retrophrenologist » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 pm

TCampbell wrote:However, if I think about it in terms of likelihood of having kids, I'd say that the one closest to certainty is Duane. He'd definitely want to pass his knowledge along to another generation. He'd go with "Apollo" or "Diana."

Apollo, huh? That kid's going to get beaten up every day in high school...

Seriously though, were you planning to use Chrissie again in the strip?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 am

retrophrenologist wrote:
TCampbell wrote:However, if I think about it in terms of likelihood of having kids, I'd say that the one closest to certainty is Duane. He'd definitely want to pass his knowledge along to another generation. He'd go with "Apollo" or "Diana."

Apollo, huh? That kid's going to get beaten up every day in high school...

Seriously though, were you planning to use Chrissie again in the strip?

Absolutely.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 am

Well, so I'm wondering -again- about our (un?)favorite psychopath.

Before the Injustice Gang ever created; where is Cyndi's place in the highschool hierarchy? I mean, as far as I know she's not part of Penny's clique, and the Injustice Gang is relatively new....I guess to a degree, Cyndi does get some leverage by associating with Karen, and everything; so if Cyndi never met Karen, would the cast of P&A cross paths with her? Would her sociopathy manifest in the same / similar way it had manifested in the strip?

oh, also, do you ever have / thought / imagined Crack Pairings with the P&A cast? (That is, pairings that are hilariously unlikely to ever end up together in a romantic sense, but would be CRAZY AMAZING to have)
Trefle

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm

The question came up in the re-read thread about slobKaren's question in this strip and Penny's over-reaction here which sounds a bit too forceful to feel entirely believable. Was an overweight phase in Penny's past ever (and in particular, at this point) considered as a possible plot development?
svenman

Postby TCampbell » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Trefle wrote:Well, so I'm wondering -again- about our (un?)favorite psychopath.

Before the Injustice Gang ever created; where is Cyndi's place in the highschool hierarchy? I mean, as far as I know she's not part of Penny's clique, and the Injustice Gang is relatively new....I guess to a degree, Cyndi does get some leverage by associating with Karen, and everything; so if Cyndi never met Karen, would the cast of P&A cross paths with her? Would her sociopathy manifest in the same / similar way it had manifested in the strip?

oh, also, do you ever have / thought / imagined Crack Pairings with the P&A cast? (That is, pairings that are hilariously unlikely to ever end up together in a romantic sense, but would be CRAZY AMAZING to have)

1) In her early appearances, Cyndi was something of a rogue agent, friendly with both Meg and Penny (and if anyone asked her about both of those at once, she'd probably say "oh, I don't care about drama!"). She was attractive and intelligent enough to be friends (or "more than friends") with almost anyone she wanted to. I imagine she did have other friendships and even casual relationships in her past. So it's revealing that she looks up at the ceiling, early in her run on the series, and whispers "Everyone is (having sex) except me." When she mentions that incident to Charlotte, she seems at least partly honest. It's at least consistent with what we know about her.

There seems to have been a time when she regarded her own lack of empathy as a defect, something she'd be happier if she had, and something she didn't feel right having sex without. And then that changed: she became addicted to schadenfreude and almost never looked back. Maybe it was contempt for Karen's trivial obsessions that pushed her over the edge... but trivial obsessions are not in short supply among her peers. Or maybe it was just a steady diet of TMZ, without the brake that most of us have that tells us "Okay, I shouldn't laugh that hard, their lives are ruined, that's terrible." Or maybe nothing could've changed her path. I read We Need to Talk About Kevin recently, and I think it poses a similar "chicken or the egg" question, with no clear answer.

And I've never felt the need to make "crack pairings" when the readers were so much better at it than me, starting with "Cyndi loves Charlotte."
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 am

TCampbell wrote:1) In her early appearances, Cyndi was something of a rogue agent, friendly with both Meg and Penny (and if anyone asked her about both of those at once, she'd probably say "oh, I don't care about drama!").

And yet, she sided over with Meg...
Or maybe it was just a steady diet of TMZ, without the brake that most of us have that tells us "Okay, I shouldn't laugh that hard, their lives are ruined, that's terrible." Or maybe nothing could've changed her path. I read We Need to Talk About Kevin recently, and I think it poses a similar "chicken or the egg" question, with no clear answer.

And I've never felt the need to make "crack pairings" when the readers were so much better at it than me, starting with "Cyndi loves Charlotte."

Ugh, as someone who personally does not 'get' TMZ and similar gossip shows (really? You have to take 30 minutes or MORE?), I think it is rather...well. Sad.

Well, Cyndi and Charlotte would make a thoroughly messed uply interesting http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MindGameShip (SORRY FOR THE LINK SORRY FOR THE LINK GUYS)
Trefle

Postby TCampbell » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:18 pm

svenman wrote:The question came up in the re-read thread about slobKaren's question in this strip and Penny's over-reaction here which sounds a bit too forceful to feel entirely believable. Was an overweight phase in Penny's past ever (and in particular, at this point) considered as a possible plot development?

Yes and no. To the best of my recollection, we were working with the idea that Penny had occasionally put on a few pounds in her past and was always really sensitive about it when it happened, that it was the one thing she really envied about Michelle. But I was anxious about whether we could pull that off without seeming to take a position I didn't want to endorse. I try not to worry too much about that (people will always read things into your work you didn't intend) but this was a tricky enough matter that it gave me pause. By the end of "Mockingbird," we present Penny's weight-watching as a largely positive thing, and it's only mildly amusing the lengths to which she'll take it, much like Aggie's sign-carrying.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 am

What the heck? T, did something change in the coding since the change-over? I can log-in with my PCs, but any time I try to use my mobile to log-in, I keep getting told there's an SQL error.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion