Revenge of Ask T Questions

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Trefle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 am

And, ultimately, she gained Meighan some ratings...I think?

Alice Macher wrote:( a ) "Hee."

..........that just inspired a dark, DARK thought ;

would that be what Cyndi would be, if she went unstopped-- if she didn't get caught?
Oh my God, I'm not sure I want it to be answered.

On another related question:
This is the age of Tumblr GIFs...of memes and everything, where some of the biggest name on tabloids are reality stars.
How famous is Sara these days? Are there / would there be any moments in the future when she saw herself moving nonstop on loop on some random people's tumblr?

And, thinking about it; what's the fate of Meighan, or her show, in the future? During Six Septembers Later?
Trefle

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 am

Trefle wrote:And, ultimately, she gained Meighan some ratings...I think?

Oh, yes, but a lot of people have given Meighan ratings and that doesn't mean she respects them.

would that be what Cyndi would be, if she went unstopped-- if she didn't get caught?

"How many people are going to die when all the other games get boring?" asked Charlotte, once.

This is the age of Tumblr GIFs...of memes and everything, where some of the biggest name on tabloids are reality stars.
How famous is Sara these days? Are there / would there be any moments in the future when she saw herself moving nonstop on loop on some random people's tumblr?

Reality stars' fame is fleet unless they're in the very, very top tier like Richard Hatch and Snooki. Hot Lights was more of a cult hit even by cable standards, and after changing her last name, Sara hasn't met anyone who recognized her from that life. However, the "yeah bitches" moment has been picked up and re-spliced by image and video manipulators who enjoy doing such things.

And, thinking about it; what's the fate of Meighan, or her show, in the future? During Six Septembers Later?

Hot Lights bounced around three more years with various changes in format: indie filmmakers and low-level sitcom producers got the same sort of treatment. Meighan was eventually betrayed by one of her lovers, who went to the media with records of their relationship, records which showed Meighan's weak side. Recognizing the shift she'd predicted in her last conversation with Sara, Meighan regrouped and reinvented herself as a website producer, like a female Perez Hilton except that she tended to stay out of the spotlight. She knows how hot it can get in there.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Corneel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 am

TCampbell wrote:
Trefle wrote:And, ultimately, she gained Meighan some ratings...I think?

Oh, yes, but a lot of people have given Meighan ratings and that doesn't mean she respects them.

"How many people are going to die when all the other games get boring?" asked Charlotte, once.

Reality stars' fame is fleet unless they're in the very, very top tier like Richard Hatch and Snooki. Hot Lights was more of a cult hit even by cable standards, and after changing her last name, Sara hasn't met anyone who recognized her from that life. However, the "yeah bitches" moment has been picked up and re-spliced by image and video manipulators who enjoy doing such things.

Hot Lights bounced around three more years with various changes in format: indie filmmakers and low-level sitcom producers got the same sort of treatment. Meighan was eventually betrayed by one of her lovers, who went to the media with records of their relationship, records which showed Meighan's weak side. Recognizing the shift she'd predicted in her last conversation with Sara, Meighan regrouped and reinvented herself as a website producer, like a female Perez Hilton except that she tended to stay out of the spotlight. She knows how hot it can get in there.

Now I'm wondering: how much of the answers to these type of questions did you actually already have established and how much do you make up in response to those questions being asked? If mostly the former that would be an almost tolkienesque level of background information, if the mostly the latter, well still hats off for knowing how to improvise internally consistent information on the spot.
Corneel

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm

These days, it's more often the latter than the former, though the borders between the two can be fuzzy. I always know certain facts that don't make it into the script, but I've been less painstaking about backstory in later works than I was in earlier ones. I'm coming to feel that I really need to make an effort to return to my early form, there.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 pm

And that's why we love T, I think. :D

About Cyndi...I'm starting to think Charlotte did us a favor here. --- MY GOD, T. You indirectly made her a martyr?
It's certainly interesting. Thanks for the answer!
Trefle

Postby sun tzu » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:54 am

Trefle wrote:And that's why we love T, I think. :D

About Cyndi...I'm starting to think Charlotte did us a favor here. --- MY GOD, T. You indirectly made her a martyr?

See, one of the things I find so disturbing about the Cyndi storyline is that a murderous monster was only possible to stop because Charlotte did something so insanely wrong.
sun tzu

Postby Trefle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 am

sun tzu wrote:
Trefle wrote:And that's why we love T, I think. :D

See, one of the things I find so disturbing about the Cyndi storyline is that a murderous monster was only possible to stop because Charlotte did something so insanely wrong.

Yet in a certain way, it's so right. Yeah, I can see how it's disturbing.
Trefle

Postby Mr. Brightside » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 pm

sun tzu wrote:See, one of the things I find so disturbing about the Cyndi storyline is that a murderous monster was only possible to stop because Charlotte did something so insanely wrong.

More disturbing to me is that I feel like I'm supposed to view her as a hero for bludgeoning a schoolgirl within an inch of her life, tying her up (albeit ineffectually), and almost going to town on her with the contents of a garden shed, not even to stop anything in particular, but simply because she was "evil." I can't help but think of some of the traditional martyrs (say, St. George), canonized because their sacrifices came to help Christians expand their foothold by the sword. I still wish she'd died out in that field.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby sun tzu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:47 am

Mr. Brightside wrote:
sun tzu wrote:See, one of the things I find so disturbing about the Cyndi storyline is that a murderous monster was only possible to stop because Charlotte did something so insanely wrong.

More disturbing to me is that I feel like I'm supposed to view her as a hero for bludgeoning a schoolgirl within an inch of her life, tying her up (albeit ineffectually), and almost going to town on her with the contents of a garden shed, not even to stop anything in particular, but simply because she was "evil." I can't help but think of some of the traditional martyrs (say, St. George), canonized because their sacrifices came to help Christians expand their foothold by the sword. I still wish she'd died out in that field.

See, I don't think we're supposed to view Charlotte as a hero. We're supposed, IMHO, to see what she did as an insane act of an unstable young woman.
The thing is, I don't see what, in the context of the story, short of such an insane and criminal act could have stopped Cyndi's career as a serial killer. Hence why I feel so disturbed.
sun tzu

Postby Hexr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 am

sun tzu wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:

See, I don't think we're supposed to view Charlotte as a hero. We're supposed, IMHO, to see what she did as an insane act of an unstable young woman.
The thing is, I don't see what, in the context of the story, short of such an insane and criminal act could have stopped Cyndi's career as a serial killer. Hence why I feel so disturbed.

Sorry, but... I don't see what the problem is. Sometimes stuff just happens, and two "evils" collide, and something good comes out of it. I trust this board so much I dare to give a Hitler example. See, without him (well, without Wehrmacht [I'm probably misspelling that too], but the guy functions as an avatar) Stalin (the Red Army, but the avatar thing works here, too) would have conquered my country (have I remembered to mention I'm Finnish yet? :P). Yet, the people here (well, the sane part of it) don't view him as a hero. (Sorry for all the parentheses, I'm medicated and can't think straight.)
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby sun tzu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 am

Hexr wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:

Sorry, but... I don't see what the problem is. Sometimes stuff just happens, and two "evils" collide, and something good comes out of it. I trust this board so much I dare to give a Hitler example. See, without him (well, without Wehrmacht [I'm probably misspelling that too], but the guy functions as an avatar) Stalin (the Red Army, but the avatar thing works here, too) would have conquered my country (have I remembered to mention I'm Finnish yet? :P). Yet, the people here (well, the sane part of it) don't view him as a hero. (Sorry for all the parentheses, I'm medicated and can't think straight.)

But Stalin could have been stopped by a non-Nazi guy leading Germany to a financial recovery and arming it in preparation for a possible war with the USSR.
sun tzu

Postby Freemage » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am

sun tzu wrote:
Hexr wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:

But Stalin could have been stopped by a non-Nazi guy leading Germany to a financial recovery and arming it in preparation for a possible war with the USSR.

A smarter set of opponents--ones who had Charlotte's insight into Cyndi's nature, but lacking her willingness to go as far as she did, could have brought Cyndi down much sooner. So the other characters (notably Stan, but also the titular ladies) could've shut Cyndi down.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Freemage wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Hexr wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:

A smarter set of opponents--ones who had Charlotte's insight into Cyndi's nature, but lacking her willingness to go as far as she did, could have brought Cyndi down much sooner. So the other characters (notably Stan, but also the titular ladies) could've shut Cyndi down.

So in other words if they hadn't been so divided by typical teenage in-fighting, the three you just named could have actually done something about it? I mean, other than just realizing she was an unstable element in their midst, that is.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby sun tzu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Freemage wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Hexr wrote:
sun tzu wrote:
Mr. Brightside wrote:

How? What could they have done that would have stopped her from continuing to manipulate people into destruction? This isn't exactly trivial. In canon, Cyndi was only neutralized because her parents had the authority to have her committed, and the FBI hacked her computer to read her journal.
sun tzu

Postby TCampbell » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Let's not forget that Penny and Stan, at least, were making repeated efforts to stop Cyndi, or at least curtail her effectiveness, and they were mostly failing at it. Aggie underestimated the danger she represented after the Popsicle War, for reasons more to do with Aggie's own idealism than anything else. But as direct and reactive as she normally is, I can't see her beating Cyndi in a battle of wits either.

This was actually one of Charlotte's chief motivations: "The smartest people I know have tried to stop your headgames any way they can, and you giggle at their efforts, like they're animals you've crippled."

I'm not going to pretend that I don't want to engineer certain responses in my audience. But the answer to virtually any question that begins, "So, do you want us to think...?" is "It's more complicated than that."
TCampbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion