Revenge of Ask T Questions

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Trefle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm

..I want to see that as well. From a reader's perspective, nothing's as fun as watching someone unravel from something innocent and having no malicious intent.

And yes; I agreed, that effort to stay faithful, and humble, and levelheaded, even when it backfires on her, is part of what makes Katy-Ann very humane. A very much wise human.

It's somewhat doubtful Meighan would actually invite her.... she's too -sane- to be invited in the first place. :P

Now a thought comes across; how would Katy-Ann handle debate? Especially to hard-right Christians and some groups of atheists, what with their same aggressive behavior and somewhat unbended in their conviction, to say the very least? Where and what would be her line of patience?
Trefle

Postby TCampbell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 am

Trefle wrote:..I want to see that as well. From a reader's perspective, nothing's as fun as watching someone unravel from something innocent and having no malicious intent.

And yes; I agreed, that effort to stay faithful, and humble, and levelheaded, even when it backfires on her, is part of what makes Katy-Ann very humane. A very much wise human.

It's somewhat doubtful Meighan would actually invite her.... she's too -sane- to be invited in the first place. :P

Now a thought comes across; how would Katy-Ann handle debate? Especially to hard-right Christians and some groups of atheists, what with their same aggressive behavior and somewhat unbended in their conviction, to say the very least? Where and what would be her line of patience?

We saw a little of how she handled aggressive debate in her first encounter with Lisa. Lisa is kind of ADD, so really all Katy had to do with her was hold the line until she got distracted. Katy-Ann's much smarter than most people her age, smart enough to know that hard-right Christians have rarely read all of Leviticus. She also knows that religion is not science: proofs of the existence of God, while well-intentioned, are not verifiable to all clear-thinking people's satisfaction. She hasn't read Pascal during her high school years, but she'll find his thoughts close to her own in college.

But she generally tries to avoid debate, or when debate is inevitable, to shut it down quickly. She doesn't enjoy hostilities and doesn't feel like she's scored any points by "winning" against someone whose mind she can't change. Confronted by a fundie with an earring, she'd simply say "Lev 19:28" and walk away if they didn't get it immediately. By the time the fundie'd checked out what that meant on her smartphone, the opportunity for debate would be over.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm

TCampbell wrote:
We saw a little of how she handled aggressive debate in her first encounter with Lisa. Lisa is kind of ADD, so really all Katy had to do with her was hold the line until she got distracted. Katy-Ann's much smarter than most people her age, smart enough to know that hard-right Christians have rarely read all of Leviticus. She also knows that religion is not science: proofs of the existence of God, while well-intentioned, are not verifiable to all clear-thinking people's satisfaction. She hasn't read Pascal during her high school years, but she'll find his thoughts close to her own in college.

But she generally tries to avoid debate, or when debate is inevitable, to shut it down quickly. She doesn't enjoy hostilities and doesn't feel like she's scored any points by "winning" against someone whose mind she can't change. Confronted by a fundie with an earring, she'd simply say "Lev 19:28" and walk away if they didn't get it immediately. By the time the fundie'd checked out what that meant on her smartphone, the opportunity for debate would be over.

Classy response without being bitchy. As expected for Katy-Ann... Me love!
I guess her time with Penny did taught her something?

But OT, wait--

smart enough to know that hard-right Christians have rarely read all of Leviticus.

For all that's holy, WHAT!?!!?!?!
Trefle

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, basically, Trefle, it's one of the biggest sources of their cries against "non-traditional marriages and relationships", and yet they ignore the instructions in it saying things like "don't shave", "don't eat most types of fish", and honestly, a ton of other old-time "do this, don't do that" types of directions for that time period. So they're pretty much just picking and choosing what they're living by, which is ridiculous, because if they're going to try to enforce -one- of said old laws, they should be trying to enforce them -all-, otherwise it's pointless.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Trefle wrote:
TCampbell wrote:smart enough to know that hard-right Christians have rarely read all of Leviticus.

Well it's been a while since I've read any of Leviticus, but I distinctly remember there being something about not eating pigs in there, and I know plenty of hard-rights who will denounce teh gai while wolfing down a bacon sandwich.

For example.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Freemage » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Well, to be fair, SOME of the Levitcus restrictions can be gotten around by citing Paul (it should be noted that "Christianity", as it's practiced by much of the Christian community, is very explicitly "Pauline Christianity"--that is, the writings commonly attributed to Paul, nee Saul, are often treated with as much reverence and devotion as the actual Gospels.

Paul led a mini-revolution within the Church, which led to the shedding of the more unpopular restrictions and requirements of Judaism. In addition to declaring that any food-animal made by God must be clean in God's eyes (and thus permitting bacon-wrapped shrimp), he also argued against what he dismissed as the "circumcision party"--that is, those members of the early Christian sect led by James who felt that Gentiles wanting to worship Christ needed to convert to Judaism first. Paul realized that getting a bunch of Greek and Roman men to let a moile anywhere near their foreskins was going to be a non-starter, so he opted to push the idea that Christ's death paid for the Abrahamic sacrifice once and for all, so no more blood-debt.

However, Paul was very much himself a prude, possibly asexual as well (he claimed to live without any sex at all, and basically created the meme so common among the fundies, that sex within marriage is still somewhat sinful, but it's okay so long as you don't enjoy it too much). So his writings re-iterated the condemnations of homosexuality, and many of the anti-women rules as well. He also had some lovely teachings about how slaves should remain loyal to their masters (unless they were willing to be full-time evangelists, in which case a Christian slave-owner should release the slave as a 'brother in Christ' and then send him to work for Paul).
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
Trefle wrote:
TCampbell wrote:smart enough to know that hard-right Christians have rarely read all of Leviticus.

Well it's been a while since I've read any of Leviticus, but I distinctly remember there being something about not eating pigs in there, and I know plenty of hard-rights who will denounce teh gai while wolfing down a bacon sandwich.

For example.

There's this one scene in Acts where Peter has a dream and he's up at a banquet with some angels and all the food is like pigs and rabbits and lobsters and eels - all non-kosher. Peter at first doesn't eat, says something about how it's unclean food. God's voice booms out: "DO NOT CALL UNCLEAN WHAT I HAVE CALLED CLEAN!" And that's how Christians can eat bacon.

So if gay people are called to ministry, doesn't that mean God has called them clean, along these lines in Acts? (H/T Anthea Butler for the argument - google her, she's awesome).

Once see things this way, the Westboro God-Hates-Fags types are clearly heretics. Ms. Butler doesn't go that far, IIRC, but I damn sure will.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Corneel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:00 am

Freemage wrote:(...) Paul, nee Saul, (...)

Do you know something about Paul that we don't? :)
Corneel

Postby Freemage » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 am

Corneel wrote:
Freemage wrote:(...) Paul, nee Saul, (...)

Do you know something about Paul that we don't? :)

Eh, I know it's normally used for women who change their names after marriage, but I figure it fits the situation. While the French include a masculine version with one less 'e' (similar to fiance/fiancee), the English version of nee doesn't have to have the accent mark, and has no direct masculine analogue.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

Valerie wrote:
Freemage

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 am

The Oxford English Dictionary would like a word (hehe) with you:

né, adj.

After a man's name (used to introduce his original or former name): born, originally called. Also in extended use. Cf. the more frequent feminine form née adj.
1937 N. Marsh Vintage Murder xiv. 153 He's a very nasty little person, is Mr. St. John Ackroyd, né Albert Biggs, a thoroughly unpleasant piece of bluff and brass.
1972 Times Lit. Suppl. 27 Oct. 1271/1 Headlam-Morley (né Headlam) was born in 1863.
1977 New Yorker 10 Oct. 50/1 One of the few Western holders of the Lenin (né Stalin) Peace Prize.
1988 Washington Post 25 Sept. e 6/1 L'Amiral de Grasse (né Francois Joseph Paul) played a brief but crucial role in the Revolutionary War.
2000 Church Times 27 Oct. 10/3 The weather in Madras might be baking, but John (né Sidiq) will tut at the rainclouds gathering over New Falls, Wisconsin.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Trefle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am

Oh, yeah. In that aspect...I understand. Apologize for the outburst.
Trefle

Postby Freemage » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Alice Macher wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary would like a word (hehe) with you:

né, adj.

After a man's name (used to introduce his original or former name): born, originally called. Also in extended use. Cf. the more frequent feminine form née adj.
1937 N. Marsh Vintage Murder xiv. 153 He's a very nasty little person, is Mr. St. John Ackroyd, né Albert Biggs, a thoroughly unpleasant piece of bluff and brass.
1972 Times Lit. Suppl. 27 Oct. 1271/1 Headlam-Morley (né Headlam) was born in 1863.
1977 New Yorker 10 Oct. 50/1 One of the few Western holders of the Lenin (né Stalin) Peace Prize.
1988 Washington Post 25 Sept. e 6/1 L'Amiral de Grasse (né Francois Joseph Paul) played a brief but crucial role in the Revolutionary War.
2000 Church Times 27 Oct. 10/3 The weather in Madras might be baking, but John (né Sidiq) will tut at the rainclouds gathering over New Falls, Wisconsin.

Dammit, I tried a quick Google search, and Wiktionary failed me miserably. :cry:

Valerie wrote:
Freemage

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Freemage wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary would like a word (hehe) with you:

né, adj.

Dammit, I tried a quick Google search, and Wiktionary failed me miserably. :cry:

dctionary.reference.com might come to your rescue.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:dctionary.reference.com might come to your rescue.

Will it tell you how to spell 'dictionary'? /smartass
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Valerie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:dctionary.reference.com might come to your rescue.

Will it tell you how to spell 'dictionary'? /smartass

*snickers*
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion