Revenge of Ask T Questions

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Trefle wrote:For all intents and purposes, I hope so.

Seeing that this is part of Zii's past and Stan is seen later in Ma3 with Lisa....if the strip is canonical we (and Zii) might have been seeing child porn / 'barely legal' gay porn here.

Gee, I wonder how K-A would have responded to that.


Eh, I tend to think of somewhat circular comics time. A happens before B which happened before A. I mean, Archie is in his, what, 70th junior year by now, without once having been held back?
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
User avatar
thebitterfig
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Maine, where it's probably snowing.

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 am

thebitterfig wrote:
Trefle wrote:For all intents and purposes, I hope so.

Seeing that this is part of Zii's past and Stan is seen later in Ma3 with Lisa....if the strip is canonical we (and Zii) might have been seeing child porn / 'barely legal' gay porn here.

Gee, I wonder how K-A would have responded to that.


Eh, I tend to think of somewhat circular comics time. A happens before B which happened before A. I mean, Archie is in his, what, 70th junior year by now, without once having been held back?


I have no continuity problem with Monroe's strip, which only says there was a "rumor" Rich did gay porn. That's not an implausible rumor given his sometimes desperate circumstances and beefy looks. And while I'd prefer not to allude to that MA3 thing at all, it doesn't create the story problems that the MA3 strip itself does.

If Gisele wants to get me a half-birthday present this April 30, she can redraw that damn MA3 strip so that the three guys' faces look like the Three Stooges instead of Stan, Jack and Rich, and maybe I can never have to field a question about this ever again. The strip is not canonical. Gisele gave me a script to edit and then made the unnamed three guys into Stan, Jack and Rich at the last minute. I was never happy about that. Giz and I talked about the possibility of meeting these three suspiciously-familiar guys in a later scene and discovering they were actually nothing like Stan, Jack and Rich, but I think it's way too late for something like that not to feel totally forced and unfunny now.

In Gisele's defense, I know she was just doing what she thought would be an amusing in-joke. And I'm sure she didn't think I'd be fielding questions about it eight years later. She and Dave had a habit of underestimating how important continuity is to a regular reader, especially in MA3's early days.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 am

Trefle wrote:T, how are you doing?

Also, looking at Stan and Jack's loyalty/mancrush with Rich during Uptown Girl and future strips....
had Stan/Jack ever attempted to made any contact with Rich after he left, or vice versa? Did they see Rich in Sara's reality show?
And looking at Six September Later, what is Rich to Politician!Stan?

(also, which political direction is Stan leaning on in the future?)


I'm doin' okay. Work on Guilded Age and On Crosswords has consumed my creative energies at the moment, and TCampbell.net has had some complications getting up and running again, but my finances seem to be on the mend after a long period of extreme difficulty: growing work in editing and transcription looks like it'll keep body and soul together.

I'd say that Stan definitely saw the reality show (I mean, really, how could he miss it?), and caught up with Rich after that. Their contacts had been few and far between up to that point because Rich really wasn't living up to the way Stan saw him ("He can't help but succeed!"), and neither he nor Stan wanted to acknowledge that fact. Rich was able to parlay his lucky break into a better class of job, but that chip on his shoulder will always keep him from being a full-fledged success. By the time Stan got into politics he didn't think of Rich often, and when he did, he recognized that their life goals weren't going to line up any more.

Stan is a Republican. He's willing to break with the party line on immigration reform and gay rights, which sounds noble until you realize that the kind of demographic he's attracting also breaks with the party line on these matters. (The party line is getting a lot blurrier anyway in light of recent polling numbers.)
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm

TCampbell wrote:And while I'd prefer not to allude to that MA3 thing at all


Sorry, just my sometimes twisted humor bringing it up.

Anyhow, my own personal favorite explanation is that Penny and Aggie is so insanely popular in the MA3 universe that they hired look-alike actors for a porn parody (which probably wins an AVN). I don't remember who suggested it.

///

Stan-the-Republican makes perfect sense to me. Young, gay friendly dude with a bit of a hard-luck background? He'd be an instant hit. Be careful Stan. While you're sure to be a hot property on the talk show circuit, it can take away as quickly as it gives, as you find the potential rewards for saying the right things keep growing. Just look at what happened to Dennis Miller (which, no doubt, lefties like myself bare some blame for... ostracisation from the old gang no doubt makes the new 'love' all the more tempting).
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
User avatar
thebitterfig
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Maine, where it's probably snowing.

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby FlyingFish » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 pm

"What If" time!

Let's say Karen wasn't around/able to keep Aggie from pursuing Marshall, and she caught him. Would it quickly come crashing down like Sara's kiss of Marshall (having a thing is not so pleasing as wanting it, turns out), or would Aggie have held onto the dream and ignored/denied the reality that she was, you know, gay? If the latter, how long would she have held out, either due to lack of conscious awareness or refusal to disappoint Marshall by leaving?

Or is Aggie, in fact, bisexual after all, or at least gay plus Marshall, sufficiently to make it work?
User avatar
FlyingFish
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm

FlyingFish wrote:"What If" time!

Let's say Karen wasn't around/able to keep Aggie from pursuing Marshall, and she caught him. Would it quickly come crashing down like Sara's kiss of Marshall (having a thing is not so pleasing as wanting it, turns out), or would Aggie have held onto the dream and ignored/denied the reality that she was, you know, gay? If the latter, how long would she have held out, either due to lack of conscious awareness or refusal to disappoint Marshall by leaving?

Or is Aggie, in fact, bisexual after all, or at least gay plus Marshall, sufficiently to make it work?


Aggie's sexual attraction to Marshall was definitely real (there's no way I could conclude anything else after looking at Gisele's renditions of Aggie-in-lust). As I said earlier, Marshall is her big exception to her primary orientation, and she is Penny's.

It would take an unusual set of circumstances for Aggie to snag Marshall. Karen got him by having a friendly relationship with him first at the gym, and then coaxing him very gently through the early stages, never setting off his issues with trust and intimacy until she finally got impatient about sex. It's hard to imagine Aggie playing it so cool, especially since the only person she knew who could coach her in such things would be Penny, during the time when they truly despised each other. But let's say something unusual DID happen: perhaps Marshall witnessed Nick have a scary, near-fatal accident. That'd put a damper on Aggie's giddy behavior around Marsh for a bit, and give him a reason to keep checking up on her and trying to cheer her up. And then they'd go on a sort-of-but-not-really-a-date, and then Aggie would ask him to stay and snuggle on their front porch a while...

Had that happened, the relationship would've at least had a good month. Maybe even a good year. When Marshall commits, he commits. And Aggie would be pretty committed too. Aggie would have an easier time than Karen respecting his boundaries (she'd want to take sex slow, herself), and she'd certainly never lie to him about who she was, or do something he absolutely couldn't sanction. The thing is that Aggie always had a tough time seeing Marshall as a person instead of an ideal in a pretty package, and so when it became necessary for her to truly understand his problems, she might not have been able to. And since Aggie and Marshall were largely loners (Aggie grew more social later), they'd be unlikely to have the network of friends that you need to give you perspective about when your boyfriend's being a dick and when he just needs space and when you need to show you care about him, "space" be damned. The odds would be against its long-term survival, but it'd leave some sweet memories in any case.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Trefle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 am

TCampbell wrote:I'm doin' okay. Work on Guilded Age and On Crosswords has consumed my creative energies at the moment, and TCampbell.net has had some complications getting up and running again, but my finances seem to be on the mend after a long period of extreme difficulty: growing work in editing and transcription looks like it'll keep body and soul together.

I'd say that Stan definitely saw the reality show (I mean, really, how could he miss it?), and caught up with Rich after that. Their contacts had been few and far between up to that point because Rich really wasn't living up to the way Stan saw him ("He can't help but succeed!"), and neither he nor Stan wanted to acknowledge that fact. Rich was able to parlay his lucky break into a better class of job, but that chip on his shoulder will always keep him from being a full-fledged success. By the time Stan got into politics he didn't think of Rich often, and when he did, he recognized that their life goals weren't going to line up any more.

Stan is a Republican. He's willing to break with the party line on immigration reform and gay rights, which sounds noble until you realize that the kind of demographic he's attracting also breaks with the party line on these matters. (The party line is getting a lot blurrier anyway in light of recent polling numbers.)

I'm glad you're doing alright! \o/

And that is...pretty savvy of him. Although that's too bad about what happened with Rich. Seems regardless of what happened Rich still got some personal issues?
Did Rich ever grow beyond / from his tough guy persona?
Trefle
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I'd say "see above" about Rich's persona. There are certain things you just can't do at 40, but he maintained the general image. If Rich was really going to rise above that in a big way, he would've done it with Penny.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Alice Macher » Tue May 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Because it's come up in the re-read thread: Does the conversation between Aggie and Nick in "Hate" take place on the same day as the "Because he's black!" incident, or later?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Because it's come up in the re-read thread: Does the conversation between Aggie and Nick in "Hate" take place on the same day as the "Because he's black!" incident, or later?


Later.

I admit, you'd think that phone call from the school to Nick would come promptly on the day of the incident, if only to minimize chances of a repeat performance, but, well, they kinda fumbled the ball on that one. Giuliani waited to see what effect his little talk had, and phoned both girls' parents when he wasn't satisfied with the results.

That little transgender exercise in the beginning is an indicator that enough time has passed for Aggie to stop obsessing over the wrongness of her actions and how they nearly cost her Duane. She'd be a lot more muted and open to changing her mind if Nick was talking to her immediately after Duane "dumped" her.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Question prompted by this strip. Michelle says her dig at Karen's weight "just bounced right off." But given what Cyndi later did to Michelle, I wonder: did Karen specifically instruct Cyndi to exacerbate Michelle's body issues, or was that entirely Cyndi's idea?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Question prompted by this strip. Michelle says her dig at Karen's weight "just bounced right off." But given what Cyndi later did to Michelle, I wonder: did Karen specifically instruct Cyndi to exacerbate Michelle's body issues, or was that entirely Cyndi's idea?


Karen had some input on this, which was largely a reflection of her own issues. She said something similar to Stan on-panel. Cyndi didn't really need the help, but it served her interest to use one of Karen's plans so that even her "allies" wouldn't realize she was perfectly capable of messing Michelle up all by herself.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Alice Macher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Any word yet from Marvel on your and Jason's "Webmasters" submission?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby TCampbell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:45 am

Nothing of substance. I will try again to get their attention with it again, later this summer, but... I can't say I'm real surprised by this one!
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Revenge of Ask T Questions

Postby Mr. Brightside » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 am

This just occurred to me - "Pod People" ends with Aggie asking Lisa to bring up "Eroica." Probably the most famous thing about Eroica is its dedication and undedication to Napoleon. Given the sort of garbled slacktivism of the rest of their conversation, was the shape of the arc between Aggie and Lisa ever meant to reflect this somehow?
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests