17-Jan-07: Fourteen pounds of awkward

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby Stella Polaris » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:23 am

Adrishiana wrote:Hee. I don't think you'd get me to sit on the floor (as Penny seems to be doing) of a public restroom. Particularly a public women's restroom (are my retail roots showing?).

I think she's actually sitting on the toilet there.

I really hope this won't end with Penny telling everyone Aggie's gay and then ending up humiliated herself for getting it completely wrong.
"Faith - that's another word for ignorance, isn't it?"
- House M.D.
Stella Polaris

Postby Black Mantha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 am

Doesn't Penny notice that that would be a really odd thing to discuss walking though the hallways in your own highschool?
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:41 am

Harrier wrote:I can see it now.

Oh ho, that's right, Penny. Harvest your ammo, and wait for the right opportunity. Then fire!

I don't normally root for one of my favorite characters to be reduced to ruins, but Aggie's been riding an awfully high horse for a while now, and that soda prank was the last straw. She needs to get hit with a broadside, to continue the nautical warfare imagery. Aggie's best when she's been knocked down several pegs and her lowered position forces her to think about herself.

Or maybe I'm just inclined to root for Penny because I was more like her than Aggie in high school, though neither of them is a perfect match.

Agreed, In this arc, Our favorite Lil' Pudd'n Head has gone from knocking Penny down a notch to picking on her. Penny is within her right to give a little return fire.
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby Swayambhu » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 am

Stella Polaris wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:Hee. I don't think you'd get me to sit on the floor (as Penny seems to be doing) of a public restroom. Particularly a public women's restroom (are my retail roots showing?).

I think she's actually sitting on the toilet there.

I really hope this won't end with Penny telling everyone Aggie's gay and then ending up humiliated herself for getting it completely wrong.

That would be funny. But I have to admit, though, Aggie has been...hmm...a little haughty lately, hasn't she? To be wrong like that wouldn't exactly help Penny at all, and would likely only end up boosting Aggie s'more.

As much as I love Aggie, she's been a little out of line lately (even though I can understand where she's coming from). That soda prank was unnecessary, and plus, there are so many other better pranks out there to use! (This, coming from a bit of a bully herself back in her younger days.)
Swayambhu

Postby Sunshine » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:36 am

Seems everyone is focusing on Penny is going to think Aggie is gay, but here, http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20041006.html, Penny is talking about finding out something she can use against her. Aggie pulling that soda incident is just rekindling the "war" they were previously having. I think Penny expects Aggie to mention a guy and when a name is said will use it against her. I think that's why she is so "grinch" like in the last panel.
Sunshine

Postby Susanna » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:15 pm

Interesting. I'm not sure if Penny is going to drop a bombshell or anything, but she might end up being faux-saintly in a way that makes Aggie look terrible. Like "forgiving" Aggie publicly with a "I know you didn't mean it; you're having a hard time at home" or something like that. We know she's considered that sort of thing before.
Susanna

Postby Black Mantha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:08 pm

If that old war is going to start again, consider the following:
[quote=Penny]You want a fair fight? / Then I'll sneak up behind you and stab you in the back. / Hey, why should I give you anything you want?[/quote]
Has a point, really.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby daanton » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Obviously, I can't seem to post anything pertinent here, as everyone else has already said it for me...

Except:

Revenge is almost always best served cold--take your present rage and let it steep and cool into something worth chucking around in the future.
daanton

Postby theteague » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:23 pm

From a storytelling standpoint, I doubt Penny is going to get the opportunity to really hurt Aggie until Aggie has already been emotionally destroyed (most likely sometime at "The Dinner").
theteague

Postby Mr. Brightside » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Sunshine wrote:Seems everyone is focusing on Penny is going to think Aggie is gay, but here, http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20041006.html, Penny is talking about finding out something she can use against her. Aggie pulling that soda incident is just rekindling the "war" they were previously having. I think Penny expects Aggie to mention a guy and when a name is said will use it against her. I think that's why she is so "grinch" like in the last panel.

I can't believe I forgot about that strip.

Of course, for that, she needs a name, which (because it's all a big misunderstanding) she's not going to get.
Mr. Brightside

Keep in mind.

Postby Shmey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Aggie did the soda gag as a vent because of the frustration she was feeling about her dad dating again. This conversation, to me, sounds as though she's trying to get Lisa in on a plot to make this "Dinner For Six" go south faster than a swift migrating for the winter. (If swifts even do such a thing.)

The "14 pounds of awkward" is probably a remark about how weird it is going to be with;
A. Dad's Date.
B. Dad's Date's son, who is Marshall.
C. Marshall's date, who is Karen.
All in the same room together. They'll all be at the same dinner table, no less.

Well, that's my speculation.

Aggie's way out of line, but the truth is she's not equipped to handle this social situation very well, for whatever reason. In truth, she's probably going to have Lisa along so she won't just be sitting at the table, completely vulnerable to Karen with Marshall at the same table.

Of course, Marshall's not exactly excited about these dinner plans, either.
Hang on, Leetah! And if he tries to bite -- BITE HIM BACK!
Shmey

Postby Swayambhu » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 pm

If they do sit all together, I really hope that if Karen DOES pick on Aggie for whatever reason, that Marshall stands up for her. At least a little, y'know?

But I suspect that if anything's going to be said to each other negatively, it might be Lisa who starts it with Karen. If you guys recall the way she acted around Karen in that guest strip series for a bit, she seems like the type to do little things to provoke Karen.
Swayambhu

Postby Susanna » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 pm

Suddenly I'm imagining Kharisma, Marshall, Karen and Nick sitting down to dinner. Nick is trying to explain that his daughter's a bit late, because she's been busy---

---and Aggie, who's absolutely determined to ruin this entire affair (pun har har har), busts in with Lisa and shouts something along the lines of "Yeah, I was busy! With my GIRLFRIEND!"

...and then she notices Marshall at the table.
Susanna

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Susanna wrote:Suddenly I'm imagining Kharisma, Marshall, Karen and Nick sitting down to dinner. Nick is trying to explain that his daughter's a bit late, because she's been busy---

---and Aggie, who's absolutely determined to ruin this entire affair (pun har har har), busts in with Lisa and shouts something along the lines of "Yeah, I was busy! With my GIRLFRIEND!"

...and then she notices Marshall at the table.

Plot heaven, simply plot heaven.
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Ye gads....

Okay, I think Penny is, indeed, taking the overheard conversation as Aggie talking about 'coming out' as Lisa's gal-pal. Which means that if she does launch a counter-strike, it's gonna blow up in her face, horribly. Let's face it--after all the times lately that Aggie has shown her up, a 'queer smear' campaign, if disproven, would be exactly the thing to finish Penny's current downward slide, if it didn't work. Another possibility is that Penny does interpret it reasonably accurately, and so decides to spy around--finding out that Aggie is a couple of "I do"s from becoming Karen's step-sister-in-law could be... well, fuel for some sort of attack, I'm sure.

Also, for purposes of this conversation, I think it's pretty clear that Aggie does not yet know who Charisma's kid is, or that Karen's coming, too. She'd be using a stronger word than 'awkward' when describing it to Lisa, if she did.

I also wonder who is in the other stall. Those aren't... stylish shoes, of the sort we'd expect to see on most of the girls in this school. I mean, I'm sure they're comfortable, but really, they're kinda... ugly, wouldn't you say? Although if I'm right, then I'm sure that Char is just the person to keep an inaccurate accusation of lesbianism... from spinning out... Oh, I give up--I can't even TYPE it with a straight face. :P

So, yeah, lots of potential for disaster from this particular moment.
Freemage

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion