Honest question

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Honest question

Postby Susanna » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:02 am

Is it just me, or is Michelle missing a really fundamental aspect of being a girl? I know she's got "strange ideas", but it seems like she's given this enough thought that this should've occurred to her at some point.

Girls occasionally hate each other for no reason. They create competition where none exists, they see utterly indifferent asides as a personal attack on their character, they all have people to whom they think they are/ought to feel superior, they are sort of innocently self-absorbed in a sense that takes minor incidents and warps them out of proportion into epic battles. Why hasn't Michelle considered the possibility that a single event from however far back could've been enough to engender a lifetime (or a high-school lifetime, which can seem just as long) of enmity?

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware that sometimes guys do this too. Yes, I'm aware that not all girls do this. But if you can honestly say that you've never met a single high-school girl who is sometimes irrationally vindictive and to some degree obsessed with hating another girl, then please give me a ride the next time you visit Earth again. I'd like to travel.
Susanna
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Postby Ollie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:06 am

I think you mean Sara.
User avatar
Ollie
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Postby Stella Polaris » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:56 am

Actually, I know several girls like that. They're not saints, but they honestly don't seem to do what you described. They have people they dislike, but they always have good reasons for that. I think you should give girls the benefit of a doubt.


Actually, to be honest, from what I've experienced during my school years, the girls who hate each other to the point where other people are actually aware of the situation, they're a minority. I think you're completely wrong when you say it's a fundamental part of being a girl or when you assume that a lot of girls do that. That sort of stuff happens when you're 12-15, and if you still do that at the age of the cast of P&A, you could be safely called incredibly childish. I'm 19 and on my final school year, so I'm around kids aged 13-18 five days a week.

Unless teenagers in Finland really are that different from American kids.
"Faith - that's another word for ignorance, isn't it?"
- House M.D.
User avatar
Stella Polaris
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:06 am

Postby Kashi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:30 am

Uh, yeah, girls are bitches. In high school I had a girl spit in my face and rip my pants for practically no reason.
Literally. I think it was because my hair was curly.
Trust me, she did not have a crush on me.

It just seems to me like Sara doesn't really understand her own sexuality, so she's misinterpreting other people's.
in high school your hormones are going haywire and you see sparks everywhere, even where there are clearly none.
And with Penny and Aggie, it is a little hard to tell sometimes. I just think their hatred for one another is a little too strong for it to be romanitcally based.
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
User avatar
Kashi
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: NB, Canada

Postby Ollie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 am

Kashi wrote:Uh, yeah, girls are bitches. In high school I had a girl spit in my face and rip my pants for practically no reason.
Literally. I think it was because my hair was curly.
:shock:
User avatar
Ollie
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Postby Kashi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 am

Ollie wrote:
Kashi wrote:Uh, yeah, girls are bitches. In high school I had a girl spit in my face and rip my pants for practically no reason.
Literally. I think it was because my hair was curly.
:shock:

seriously. :(
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
User avatar
Kashi
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 am
Location: NB, Canada

Postby IS_Wolf » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Kashi wrote:And with Penny and Aggie, it is a little hard to tell sometimes. I just think their hatred for one another is a little too strong for it to be romanitcally based.


Pffft.. Romance, smomance.. Schtoinking knows little bounds.. :twisted:
IS_Wolf
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Postby Susanna » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:31 pm

Yes, my apologies. I meant Sara.

Re: Stella Polaris---nowhere did I say bitchiness was fundamental to being a girl, or that all girls did it, or even that most girls did it. I simply said that girls who do this exist and we've all got experience with one or two of them, a point you confirmed but completely misunderstood. Reading comprehension is awfully helpful, isn't it?

The idea that Sara is projecting these notions onto the girls is a good one. There could be several reasons for this, including but by no means limited to:

1) Sara has always viewed passionate relationships, regardless of the kind of passion, as romantic;
2) Sara watches too many romantic comedies; or
3) Sara is attracted to one of the girls but is ashamed of it, so she insists she's not the only one harboring those kinds of feelings. In doing so she makes herself feel better about her crush because then she's not alone.

More suggestions are possible, of course.
Susanna
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Postby Stella Polaris » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Susanna wrote:

Re: Stella Polaris---nowhere did I say bitchiness was fundamental to being a girl...


Susanna wrote: a really fundamental aspect of being a girl...


or that all girls did it, or even that most girls did it.



Susanna wrote:...If you can honestly say that you've never met a single high-school girl who is sometimes irrationally vindictive and to some degree obsessed with hating another girl, then please give me a ride the next time you visit Earth again.


I simply said that girls who do this exist and we've all got experience with one or two of them, a point you confirmed but completely misunderstood. Reading comprehension is awfully helpful, isn't it?



Honey, I think you're contradicting yourself with a heavy hand there. Saying "I know not ALL girls do this" (implying that they are exceptions) and then making it clear that, indeed, if there's a person who doesn't know girls who do this, they'd be a rare case, you're actually implying that most girls do act like this. So trying to backpedal by calling on my reading comprehension skills is pretty damn cowardly, not to mention ironic. Perhaps you ought to work on your expression skills...
"Faith - that's another word for ignorance, isn't it?"
- House M.D.
User avatar
Stella Polaris
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:06 am

Postby Susanna » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Helpfully clarifying a point for the slower members of the audience ! = backpedaling. But, uh, good job anyway. Let me know if you ever need help deciphering those funny sets of phrases with sets of colons on the side.

So Helen has overheard this. What does she do now? She's too smart to spread it around without thinking. There are two ways she could make this incredibly damaging. Either she tells Penny and/or Aggie about it, which briefly unites them in anger against Sara (would she feel vindicated by that?), and Sara would lose most of her friends because they don't want to be excluded from Penny's posse. I think the far more likely possibility is that somehow she'll let this slip to Karen, and there are any number of horrible ramifications from that.
Susanna
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Postby Miyu-hime » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Girls ARE mean for no reason.

They do it cuz they're spiteful little bitches.

It took me several years to realise that it was an inferiority issue and that by picking on me, they could tell themselves that they were better.

Doesn't make it right or tolerable.
User avatar
Miyu-hime
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 am
Location: Buffalo

Postby Sumesse » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Some girls hate each other for no reason.

But we know Penny and Aggie hate (or think they hate) each other for some reason. Sara thinks she knows why.

Also, whether or not she's gay...she's a slasher. :D
User avatar
Sumesse
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 am

Postby iRobot » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Sumesse wrote:Some girls hate each other for no reason.

But we know Penny and Aggie hate (or think they hate) each other for some reason. Sara thinks she knows why.

Also, whether or not she's gay...she's a slasher. :D


Heh.... mental image.... winning....
Kyn, aka Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion
-----
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution."
-- Caractacus Pott, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
User avatar
iRobot
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby Harrier » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 am

I only like slash when it's yuri, for obvious reasons.
Never use an arm when a hand will do.
Never use a hand when a finger will suffice.
User avatar
Harrier
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 pm

Postby isobel » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:02 am

A lot of girls are, in high school and beyond, just irrational at times. This is due largely to the fact that it's "okay" for girls to be emotional like crazy; a lot of girls get socialized to being flighty, helpless, and at the mercy of their "hormones" or "emotions," both of which tend to be euphemisms for a lack of self-control. I'm not trying to start another gender war here, I'm just pointing out that a lot of girls get pointed toward a flightier role. A guy flips out and he may find himself in the vice principal's office explaining his outburst (oh noes, his manly stoicism faltered), but a girl flips out and she's allowed to flee to the restroom to cry and all the wounds she inflicted are expected to be forgotten. I've seen it happen, not universally, but a good bit. I'm pretty sure this is the point the OP is trying to make, except she's not used to how damn prickly this board can be sometimes. So. High school girls can be catty for no good reason, and that is a (sad, annoying, silly) fact of life. Sara seems to be missing it. Seems simple enough to me, or at the very least like it's a solid theory.
User avatar
isobel
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: colorado

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron