What are some good LGBT webcomics?

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

Postby Richter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I already enjoy Oglaf. I was more reacting to the picture cause it's true.

Having had a look at MoJ again, yes, it's remarkably accurate.

A really wonderful comic I don't see mentioned often in LGBT lists is the Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal. Beautiful art, two very compelling main characters, and so far, a very sweet sort of Journey story.

NICE one. Great art.
This Space For Rent

www.feedy-time.com
Richter

Postby kern » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Makkabee wrote:I think Moon over June is funny. Not at all erotic, but I think the grotesquery and anti-eroticism of it all is central to the point. If you're looking for wank material, by all means look elsewhere -- the characters are physically unappealing. If you're looking for romance or drama look elsewhere as well -- the characters are even more emotionally unappealing. If you're going to get any enjoyment out of this comic (well, unless your tastes are VERY different from mine) it's going to be on the level of a comedy that uses and mocks the tropes of erotica.

That's sort of my feeling too -- I was surprised at all the negative responses. However, reading the comments to the MoJ strips themselves, it does seem like there are people trying to read it as a serious romantic comedy.
kern

Postby sentora » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm

kern wrote:
Makkabee wrote:I think Moon over June is funny. Not at all erotic, but I think the grotesquery and anti-eroticism of it all is central to the point. If you're looking for wank material, by all means look elsewhere -- the characters are physically unappealing. If you're looking for romance or drama look elsewhere as well -- the characters are even more emotionally unappealing. If you're going to get any enjoyment out of this comic (well, unless your tastes are VERY different from mine) it's going to be on the level of a comedy that uses and mocks the tropes of erotica.

That's sort of my feeling too -- I was surprised at all the negative responses. However, reading the comments to the MoJ strips themselves, it does seem like there are people trying to read it as a serious romantic comedy.

I don't take many things seriously and I have a high tolerance to grossout humor. It just isn't entertaining to me and feels like it tries too hard.
Promise tomorrow to endure today.
sentora

Postby Mr. Brightside » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Let's face it, none of the Slipshine comics are really wank material, except maybe the pin-ups. They're all explicit sex comedies, but Moon Over June is just... I look at it and think "I'LL NEVER BE AROUSED AGAIN!"
Mr. Brightside

Postby Makkabee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:34 am

Another comic I quite enjoy that has several GLBTetc characters is Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic. The first GLBT character introduced is a Drow who plays up several of the racial stereotypes, but as the series cast list expands you get a much wider variety of gay characters. There are also a couple of story lines where sexuality and gender identity are important, though that's not the main thrust of the comic as a whole.
Makkabee

Postby kern » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 am

Also thanks for the advice on Oglaf. It's quite funny.
kern

Postby Rhodesaw » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Mr. Brightside wrote:Let's face it, none of the Slipshine comics are really wank material, except maybe the pin-ups. They're all explicit sex comedies, but Moon Over June is just... I look at it and think "I'LL NEVER BE AROUSED AGAIN!"

Yeah I looked through it and I actually felt physically ill in the strip where they were quipping about looking at their own uteri during a C-section.... and I really do mean DURING a C-section. Did it really need to be "on-camera"... in ALL FOUR panels?
Rhodesaw

Postby Tropylium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

A few from my reading list that haven't been mention'd yet (in an approximate order of relevance)

Absolutely True Tales of Lesbian Drama (with a fantasy setting, actually)
Trans Girl Diaries
Lean On Me
Niels (Scandinavia and the World also applies, tangentially)
Girlfiend Comics
Pawn (sex comedy)
Flipside
Red String
Girls With Slingshots
Ninmu Nanmu
Grey Matters (hiatus'd)
Sconeborough (ended recently)
Nerdgasm (semi-autobio, been on hiatus for a while)
Gorgeus Princess Creamy Beamy (don't take it seriously)
Footloose (mostly subtext so far)
Darwin Carmichael Is Going to Hell (casual background bisexuality sighted)
Sister Claire (some subtext, dunno if it'll be going anywhere)
Tropylium

Previous

Return to General Discussion