Katy-Ann is ugly...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby daanton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:22 pm

8) I see nothing at all wrong with Katy-Ann... but unfortunately there are those (like Eric Cartman) who might think otherwise. :roll:
daanton

Postby missMagdalena » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:40 pm

...I was just going to post saying how pretty Katy-Ann looked in this strip!
missMagdalena

Postby daanton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:54 pm

missMagdalena wrote:...I was just going to post saying how pretty Katy-Ann looked in this strip!

And we're glad you did! :wink: Thanks.
daanton

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Ollie wrote:Why, exactly, is she ugly? Because she has short hair and freckles?

I think it's because she has the least in the ways of a New York Call Girl look, going for a retro 1987-90 style instead. But yeah, I really wonder why Penny accepted such a warm, down to Earth person like Katy-Ann into her entourage? Possibly she needed to keep up a clique size quota, needed someone who looked hot and wasn't a possible enemy they may have made in the past in which Katy-Ann was all three, perhaps?
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby Little Wood » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 pm

I really don't like it how you people are thinking of Penny/Aggie accepting people into their groups. I don't think it's that kind of thing. Penny doesn't go around telling people whether or not they can be in her secret little "club." Don't you people think that maybe they just happen to be close friends? Their looks are one matter. Yes, they're all coincidentally pretty, but as I said, they care about that happens in each others lives. It's just being friends, not being little 5 year old brats with their own little clubs. Sheesh.

As for Katy-Ann, she's gorgeous. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally find the majority of people who look like Lisa to be hideous. NO OFFENSE. It's just not my thing. I don't judge these people as some of them are quite nice, caring, and understanding people. However, visually it's just not my eye candy. That's just my personal opinion, and you can have yours.
Little Wood

Postby Kashi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:07 pm

daanton wrote:
Kashi wrote:
daanton wrote:
Papuasblya wrote:Ugly? She's just very Celtic -- button nose, freckles, probably red or strawberry-blonde hair. She also drawn with the best eyelashes of the entire cast. (If that means anything.)

Reminds me of a guest character from Archie Comics: she's short with short hair, freckles, and she's got a nose for money--if it's counterfeit, to her it reeks like bad cheese!

"Penny" XD
This one time she smelled out a heist for a ridiculously expensive Ruby.

Nope. Cricket O'Dell, actually. Her ethnicity must be Irish...

Oh, right... Penny was Betty's sister... oh... no. Polly. Geez. It's been awhile.
I'm sure there must have been a Penny.
The one from Josie and the Pussycats was Pepper, right?
Last edited by Kashi on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
Kashi

Postby kiapurity » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm

That was totally out of left field. Katy-Ann definitely does not fall under "ugly" at all. If anything, she's the cute-adorable simply how she has that pixie look about her.

That is the most strangest thing I've ever heard concerning the comic. o_O
kiapurity

Postby JackFairy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Wait, why is it surprising that Tharqa's also pretty? Why is she supposed to be "ugly"? She's big and people have commented on that, yes, but when was there ever any mention of "ugly"?
JackFairy

Postby Richter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:59 pm

JackFairy wrote:Wait, why is it surprising that Tharqa's also pretty? Why is she supposed to be "ugly"? She's big and people have commented on that, yes, but when was there ever any mention of "ugly"?

Tharqa herself might think she is. *Shrugs* and Rubens isn't the current ideal.

DealershipDude wrote:But yeah, I really wonder why Penny accepted such a warm, down to Earth person like Katy-Ann into her entourage?

Maybe Penny likes Katy-Ann? Nah, that's waaaaaaaaay too out there.
This Space For Rent

www.feedy-time.com
Richter

Postby Chrysee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 pm

That complaint seems really random. Out of the title characters, Penny seems to be seen by fans to be more mature for her age. I haven't seen anything so far that would suggest Penny would not be friends with someone who isn't as gorgeous as she is. Katy-Ann does seem to have pretty quirky fashion sense, but Sara and Michelle don't dress so hot either. Did we forget how Penny was (almost) attracted to Duane who is fairly plain and not too fashion savvy? Or Rich??? While not unattractive, he certainly doesn't "fit" into her group either. That didn't seem to stop her. The only time we've seen her react to someone's looks has been with Karen, where she regretted it and later seemed to genuinely enjoy hanging out with her. So I don't see at all why she wouldn't accept Katy-Ann for not fitting into the stereotypical hot teenage girl mode. Especially when her other friends, with the except of Brandi who is quite possibly one of the most attractive characters in the comic, are really quite plain. Michelle is attractive but not a blonde bombshell like Penny, and Sara is certainly nothing to look at.

Not that Katy-Ann isn't attractive. She's adorable. So there.
Chrysee

Postby Black Mantha » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:23 pm

kiapurity wrote:That is the most strangest thing I've ever heard concerning the comic. o_O

No, I think the guy who asked T when we were going to address teen issues still takes the cake. :?
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby OneGirlAlone » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:38 pm

I find Katy-Ann to be absolutely adorable! I have indefinite love for the Gingers. :oops: And I totally agree with kiapurity about her having that whole "pixie" look goin' on!
OneGirlAlone

I think this shows...

Postby EMO SAMURAI » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:40 am

that Penny's grown. She wasn't always as mature as she is now, at least in the scope of this comic.

Remember that she didn't have Katy-Ann in her clique until after the whole Duane story arc. She wouldn't have had Katy-Ann in her clique when she was whining about Justin Timberlake in the first strip.
I didn't outsmart you, you outdumbed me.

Sheep, wolf, dog, shepherd, all move with the flock.
EMO SAMURAI

Postby Papuasblya » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:26 am

Chrysee wrote:That complaint seems really random. Out of the title characters, Penny seems to be seen by fans to be more mature for her age. I haven't seen anything so far that would suggest Penny would not be friends with someone who isn't as gorgeous as she is. Katy-Ann does seem to have pretty quirky fashion sense, but Sara and Michelle don't dress so hot either. Did we forget how Penny was (almost) attracted to Duane who is fairly plain and not too fashion savvy? Or Rich??? While not unattractive, he certainly doesn't "fit" into her group either. That didn't seem to stop her. The only time we've seen her react to someone's looks has been with Karen, where she regretted it and later seemed to genuinely enjoy hanging out with her. So I don't see at all why she wouldn't accept Katy-Ann for not fitting into the stereotypical hot teenage girl mode. Especially when her other friends, with the except of Brandi who is quite possibly one of the most attractive characters in the comic, are really quite plain. Michelle is attractive but not a blonde bombshell like Penny, and Sara is certainly nothing to look at.

Not that Katy-Ann isn't attractive. She's adorable. So there.

Reading through this, I realized something. In the entire history of this strip, Penny has NOT ONCE shown the faintest interest in the "Big Man On Campus" stereotype, i.e. the big handsome jock. Oddly, they don't seem to try with her either -- Meg has that niche filled nicely with her pet quarterback. In fact, Penny is positively turned off by Marshall. Instead Penny goes for -- or at least hangs out with -- the school's archetypes for (a) skatepunk/juvenile delinquent and (b) shy intellectual. If she's really the Devil in Prada, what's she doing with Bam Margera and Langston Hughes?
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby Mango Jones » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am

Little Wood wrote:I really don't like it how you people are thinking of Penny/Aggie accepting people into their groups. I don't think it's that kind of thing. Penny doesn't go around telling people whether or not they can be in her secret little "club." Don't you people think that maybe they just happen to be close friends? Their looks are one matter. Yes, they're all coincidentally pretty, but as I said, they care about that happens in each others lives. It's just being friends, not being little 5 year old brats with their own little clubs. Sheesh.

As for Katy-Ann, she's gorgeous. Everyone has their own tastes. I personally find the majority of people who look like Lisa to be hideous. NO OFFENSE. It's just not my thing. I don't judge these people as some of them are quite nice, caring, and understanding people. However, visually it's just not my eye candy. That's just my personal opinion, and you can have yours.

Well, remember the time where a geeky-looking guy approached Penny to try and talk to her, and the others just shut her out, presumably with her consent. Rich picked up on it and made the "conversational bouncer" comment.
Look at Karen before she was beautified. Penny's group IS exclusive, they really care about popularity and take it very seriously...so seriously that it's almost funny. Like, they regard parties as "missions" with "objectives".

As for Katy-Ann, she just isn't very attractive in my opinion. So I wonder how she got into the group without any explanation. She just sort of appeared in the group.
Mango Jones

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion