Katy-Ann is ugly...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Katy-Ann is ugly...

Postby Mango Jones » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:53 am

...so why is she in Penny's clique? Don't you have to be one of the "beautiful people" to get into the exclusive Penny club?
Or is she there to make the others look better by comparison?
Mango Jones

Postby Fen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:02 am

I happen to think that she's one of the prettiest in the group.
I don't think she's that much in the "popular girls" group as much just being friendly with them and hanging out. She looks a bit too old fashioned to be "popular", but she's pretty.
Fen

Postby Papuasblya » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:52 am

Ugly? She's just very Celtic -- button nose, freckles, probably red or strawberry-blonde hair. She also drawn with the best eyelashes of the entire cast. (If that means anything.)
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby Ollie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:16 am

Mango... what the hell are you talking about?
Ollie

Postby kasner » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:19 am

Every clique needs an 'ugly girl' who'll get drinks for them during lunchtime.

No, I don't think Katy-Ann's ugly. But she's different to the others definitely. If Penny had to cut someone out of the Alpha group though, it'd probably be Katy-Ann ... (though lately, Michelle is acting up, Sara prefers the company of Katy-Ann, and Brandi seems to be well-liked by the other alphas). Who's loyal to Penny and who's not?
kasner

Postby Mango Jones » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 am

Well, while she's not hideous, she certainly isn't anywhere near as attractive as any of the other girls in the popular clique.
It has been shown that attractiveness IS a factor in terms of entry into their group, e.g the "conversational bouncers checking for valid upper class I.D", as well as Penny's criticism of Aggie's dress sense. I'm just surprised someone with such a lack of fashion sense would be accepted by a group for whom fashion is everything.

So it's either that she's the token uggo of the group, or some other reason. It wasn't really explained how she started hanging out with them, perhaps a future strip will explain further?
Mango Jones

Postby Ollie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:26 am

Why, exactly, is she ugly? Because she has short hair and freckles?
Ollie

Postby Kashi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:09 am

you kidding? She's freakin' adorable.

she doesn't "fit" with Penny's clique, no, but what else in this strip has led you to believe they rely on stereotypes?
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
Kashi

Postby Sebastian » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:26 am

I'd hit her.

Just saying.
Sebastian

Postby daanton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:18 am

Papuasblya wrote:Ugly? She's just very Celtic -- button nose, freckles, probably red or strawberry-blonde hair. She also drawn with the best eyelashes of the entire cast. (If that means anything.)

Reminds me of a guest character from Archie Comics: she's short with short hair, freckles, and she's got a nose for money--if it's counterfeit, to her it reeks like bad cheese!
daanton

Postby Kashi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25 am

daanton wrote:
Papuasblya wrote:Ugly? She's just very Celtic -- button nose, freckles, probably red or strawberry-blonde hair. She also drawn with the best eyelashes of the entire cast. (If that means anything.)

Reminds me of a guest character from Archie Comics: she's short with short hair, freckles, and she's got a nose for money--if it's counterfeit, to her it reeks like bad cheese!

"Penny" XD
This one time she smelled out a heist for a ridiculously expensive Ruby.
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
Kashi

Postby daanton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:27 am

Kashi wrote:
daanton wrote:

"Penny" XD

Nope. Cricket O'Dell, actually. Her ethnicity must be Irish...
daanton

Postby S. Edmund » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 am

daanton wrote:=

haha! I remember her! when they had to find the fake santa, she happened to roll into town.

while I dont really like her hairstype, katy-ann isn't ugly. she may not be as pretty as penny, but she's really cute.
S. Edmund

Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:04 pm

daanton wrote:
Kashi wrote:
daanton wrote:

"Penny" XD

Nope. Cricket O'Dell, actually. Her ethnicity must be Irish...

I remember her; she also helped Betty discover that there was a load of gold coins hidden in the false bottom of a carved wooden box she picked up at a garage sale (Betty, being Betty, then returned the coins to the original owner, allowing the old woman to not have to sell off her home and possessions to make ends meet).
Freemage

Postby Sumesse » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Honestly, with Giselle's art style, NO ONE is actually ugly. Even Tharqua has a pretty face, and she's supposed to be ugly.

I was wondering why Katy-Ann would be in the clique because of her devotion to religion.
Sumesse

Next

Return to General Discussion