12-Jan-07: Aura of Invisibility

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

hehehhe...

Postby Helga the Destroyer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:35 am

For some reason, Helen's little "Aura of Invisibility" reminds me of "Here comes the Thnikkaman!"

I can't even read that part without it going with the tune... :roll:
Helga the Destroyer

Re: hehehhe...

Postby daanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Helga the Destroyer wrote:For some reason, Helen's little "Aura of Invisibility" reminds me of "Here comes the Thnikkaman!"

I can't even read that part without it going with the tune... :roll:

Just wondering... do "auras of invisibility" ever last long? :?
I think Helen's won't... maybe not now, maybe sometime down the line.
daanton

Postby daanton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 pm

Meanwhile, while you're pondering that, here's a theory someone on the old P&A forum wanted to test out:

magicalsushi, on what remains on the Keenspot Forum, wrote:
Helen gets to use her special skill. Pretty cool. I wonder what she'll think about the theory... Actually, I'd like to know what Katy-Ann thinks of it too. From the look on her face, I'm guessing it's not what she was expecting to hear.

Questions? Comments?
daanton

Postby The.Urban.Rabbit » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Oddtail wrote:Incidentally - I've been meaning to ask for a long time. Are American/Canadian schools that much of a wolf pack/popularity contest?! It's weird to me. When I was at school, there were various groups, people naturally tended to stick with their own. Some were popular, but there were no real trend-setters or popularity kings/queens. Trends and fashions (of clothing, of behaviour, of music you're "supposed to listen to") were there, but neither were they treated very seriously nor did they come from specific persons.

...are American teenagers that conformist? Or was I lucky to attend some of the few schools that escaped that insanity?

Depends on where in the country you're referring to. I live on the west coast (L.A. actually), and our school is predominantly...nothing. The major ethnic groups at school are hispanics, black, whites, and koreans [no not a typo- most asian students at our school are of korean descent with a smaller percentage coming from other countries], plus another 10% that would be listed as "other". But those are the four bigest groups. Each one has their own way of interacting, and their own language in some cases, so that makes it difficult for one single "alpha group" to exsist. The ethnicities mix, but it's also such a big school that a clique like Penny's would only be known to a couple hundred students, at a stretch.

Then again, this is L.A. Who needs cliques when everybody is busy scouting for celebrities in the their spare time? :roll:
[/my two cents]

Edit: I just realized how late this post was :lol:
Last edited by The.Urban.Rabbit on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The.Urban.Rabbit

Postby oddtail » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 pm

And you apparently haven't realised yet that what you're quoting was written by me *nodnods*. Not by Magick Lorelai.
oddtail

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Richter wrote:
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership wrote:
Kashi wrote:wait, Katy-Ann's abit... religious.
what if she has a problem with homosexuality?
Is this going to lead to Katy-Ann being shunned, or shunning them? :(
I kind of like Katy-Ann (shes optimistic), I hope she isn't prejudiced.

Not every Christian views homosexuality with contempt. Katy-Ann may be on to Sara's tendency to find ways to twist others into a contemptable light and probably thought Sara's theory was something around those lines.

I'd still expect her to be shocked, should Sara indeed be gay (or bi) and reveal herself to her friends as such. Maybe even try and get her to try and 'cure' her condition, in a misled (best intentioned and kind, but misled) atttempt to save her friend. I do not expect her to just accept Sara like that.

Then again, I can be wrong, and am quite often. ;)

OK, I'll elaborate. Not all Christians interprete the Bible along the lines of 700 Club nor do they all play the "We believe all of God's words to be undenialbly true" game, which is were the anti-homosexual sentiments came from. Not every believer is an Evangelical crusader. Katy-Ann has simply demonstrated she likes a Bette Midler song that is equally pro-Christan and/or pro-Jewish and that doesn't even mean she has a greater than casual practice of either faith. Katy-Ann is probably more worried on how Penny will respond to Sara's theory, as she doesn't know about the "Will you just KISS HER already?!" conversation, than whether or not Penny is actually gay beyond how hard things are going to be for her if she is.

You could still be right about Katy-Ann's response in account of how Katy-Ann hasn't displayed any real flaws beyond being more mature than her peers. She's been an saint so far.
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby Richter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:46 pm

OK, I'll elaborate. Not all Christians interprete the Bible along the lines of 700 Club nor do they all play the "We believe all of God's words to be undenialbly true" game, which is were the anti-homosexual sentiments came from. Not every believer is an Evangelical crusader.

Where did I claim all Christians (or even just all American Cristians) would act like this? Not every believer is an evangelical crusader, yes. But religion is terrific in justifying one's own prejudices. And, like you, I've made the assumption that maybe this actually is Katy-Ann's immature spot.

@sopdet: good for you. I am not too often in the states, nor do I choose to spend more time there with fundamentalists than I absolutely have to. Yet, I know a fair number of them. Charlotte-esque or at the very least, your average cliche bigot WASP. Guess you can consider yourself lucky (or your reality filter works extremly well).
This Space For Rent

www.feedy-time.com
Richter

Postby daanton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 am

:oops:

Sorry, guys, I'm not touching this debate between Christianity and homosexuality with a ten foot (25.4 cm) pole.
daanton

"Because they've always been told THIS is nine inches..

Postby Papuasblya » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:28 am

daanton wrote::oops:

Sorry, guys, I'm not touching this debate between Christianity and homosexuality with a ten foot (25.4 cm) pole.

25.4 centimeters is ten inches -- ten feet is 304.8 centimeters.

I guess the old joke about why women can't parallel park is true....
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:08 am

Richter wrote:
OK, I'll elaborate. Not all Christians interprete the Bible along the lines of 700 Club nor do they all play the "We believe all of God's words to be undenialbly true" game, which is were the anti-homosexual sentiments came from. Not every believer is an Evangelical crusader.

Where did I claim all Christians (or even just all American Christians) would act like this? Not every believer is an evangelical crusader, yes. But religion is terrific in justifying one's own prejudices.

Non-religious forms of group identity that involves being an island unto itself are just as good for justifying one's own prejudices y'know. Particularly clannish cultures like Japan and Germany have quite a history of prejudice, American states with strong cultural identities like Texas and California have their own ethnocentricies in those identities, and large "liberal" cliques often think a lot more like their polar opposite cousins than they realize. My rebuttal had more to do with both the old board as well as this one seeming to adopt what I consider an example of what I just mentioned about large "liberal" cliques with how they both interpreted Aggie and Charlotte
( stands for stuff and idealistic = should've had stronger moral character. Christian = explains her intolerance.), than you in particular.
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Re: "Because they've always been told THIS is nine inch

Postby daanton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Papuasblya wrote:
daanton wrote::oops:

25.4 centimeters is ten inches -- ten feet is 304.8 centimeters.

I guess the old joke about why women can't parallel park is true....

hmmm, someone hasn't gotten it yet, I see...

But yes, my bad. :oops:
daanton

Postby The.Urban.Rabbit » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:39 pm

oddtail wrote:And you apparently haven't realised yet that what you're quoting was written by me *nodnods*. Not by Magick Lorelai.

*facepalm* sorry, I didn't look :oops:
EDIT: it's fixed now
The.Urban.Rabbit

Postby sopdet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Richter wrote:@sopdet: good for you. I am not too often in the states, nor do I choose to spend more time there with fundamentalists than I absolutely have to. Yet, I know a fair number of them. Charlotte-esque or at the very least, your average cliche bigot WASP. Guess you can consider yourself lucky (or your reality filter works extremly well).

So, you're suggesting I "filter" reality simply because our experiences with religious people are different? That's a pretty poor argument. I don't consider myself "lucky" either. I just think that Christianity encompasses more than just one view on the religion, just like every other religion in the world.

Frankly, to me, what makes Charlotte a danger is not her religion, but her actions which appear to be extremely un-Christian, and potentially illegal. I've never met anyone -- from any religion, race, nationality, etc. -- who would create a false bomb threat to frame someone whose outlook on life annoyed them. Charlotte has some much deeper issues at work here, and although we only really know that she practices some form of Christianity, it's unfair to assume that is the sole source of her anger.

Okay, I'm done wanking in here now. Someone hand me some tissues? :P
sopdet

Postby Sumesse » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:44 am

sopdet wrote:Frankly, to me, what makes Charlotte a danger is not her religion, but her actions which appear to be extremely un-Christian, and potentially illegal. I've never met anyone -- from any religion, race, nationality, etc. -- who would create a false bomb threat to frame someone whose outlook on life annoyed them. Charlotte has some much deeper issues at work here, and although we only really know that she practices some form of Christianity, it's unfair to assume that is the sole source of her anger.

It's just because Charlotte was raised Christian. If she had been raised Muslim, she would be planting bomb threats in the name of Allah. If she had been raised...Scientologist, she would be planting bomb threats in the name of...uh...Dr. Hubbard? Whatever. Charlotte has some serious issues that she giftwraps with Christian paper, if that makes sense.
Sumesse

Postby sopdet » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:22 am

Sumesse wrote:
sopdet wrote:Frankly, to me, what makes Charlotte a danger is not her religion, but her actions which appear to be extremely un-Christian, and potentially illegal. I've never met anyone -- from any religion, race, nationality, etc. -- who would create a false bomb threat to frame someone whose outlook on life annoyed them. Charlotte has some much deeper issues at work here, and although we only really know that she practices some form of Christianity, it's unfair to assume that is the sole source of her anger.

It's just because Charlotte was raised Christian. If she had been raised Muslim, she would be planting bomb threats in the name of Allah. If she had been raised...Scientologist, she would be planting bomb threats in the name of...uh...Dr. Hubbard? Whatever. Charlotte has some serious issues that she giftwraps with Christian paper, if that makes sense.

Yep, that makes perfect sense, since that's what I was essentially saying, that her motives for the fake bomb threat is deeper than her religion, if it's connected at all. Thank you for putting it much better than I did :D
sopdet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion