1-11-06

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby S. Edmund » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Richter wrote:I doupt Helen qualifies as a forger; most likely the handwriting on that letter isn't too hard to tell from Katy-Ann's usual writings. Maybe Kathy-Ann will be suspended for one day (or arrested and led away in handcuffs, if this school is located in the states), but I'd have little doupt she'd be cleared. If the school authorities even tkate the threat for real. After all, Katy-Ann propably is the last person to be considered capabble of bomb threats. Then again, I have no idea how hysterical people in the states still are about this.

again, since I do live in the suburbs of DC-in the area where the sniper shooting was about 4 years ago-its probably a lot more parnoid then in other parts of the states, but it would be no small thing. I rememeber last year someone called in that there might perhaps maybe be a bomb and we had to stand outside in the cold wheather for all of 1st period so they could throughly search the school, dogs and all. kathy-ann would deffiently be put in custody, and at the very least suspended for while, if not expelled. she'd probably have to go through court, no doubt being investigated. (but then, my school has a zero tolerance policy.) so with all that, when I saw that whole forgery thing I was like NOSHITTHEYARENOT! that's pretty extreme.
S. Edmund

Postby Freemage » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Richter wrote:

What I find interesting is that Aggie, who is currently on the downside of fan popularity, is still the one everybody is trying to hook up.

Well ... I don't?

Er... you don't... what? Find the above-noted behavior interesting, or try to hook up Aggie with someone?

"Everybody" in the above quote would obviously only apply to shippers in the first place--not to the Forum as a whole. And generally, I've not seen a lot of romantic speculation among the teen set that didn't center around Aggie (and Michelle gets far more than Penny, too).

Personally, I'm pushing for Marshall/Penny's Mom in a Mrs. Robinson scenario. Although that would end up with he and Penny on the back of the bus, and I wouldn't wish The Spineless Wonderemo on any of the female cast in the long run.

EDIT: On the forged letter: Yeah, in the U.S., there would have been cops called in pretty much any school I've encountered. It's nuts here right now--kids have been pulled in for questioning and suspended for turning in fiction assignments to class if those assignments included references to school violence (for instance, a kid got suspended and harrassed by the cops after he turned in a fiction-writing assignment which was basically a zombie-story that happened to feature himself as the protaganist, and his school as the zombie-filled combat zone).

While Katy-Ann might then insist she was innocent, I think it's pretty clear it'd be a hellish few days for her, and then she'd always have had the stigma of it hanging over her head--some people absolutely will insist that there's no smoke without fire. Had the 'prank' gone off, I can easily see HER getting death-threats, either at school or at home, from people who believed she was guilty.

Of course, if it'd been traced back to Charlotte, SHE would've been suffering the same effect. I have to wonder if she has ever figured out just how much Helen saved her neck that day....
Freemage

Postby Sumesse » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Freemage wrote:.

Personally, I'm pushing for Marshall/Penny's Mom in a Mrs. Robinson scenario. Although that would end up with he and Penny on the back of the bus, and I wouldn't wish The Spineless Wonderemo on any of the female cast in the long run.

Penny and Aggie AND Sara finally admit to their lesbian lust and become a (obviously wrought with delicious drama) tio of girlfriends. Meanwhile...hm...Jack and Stan. For the classics.
Sumesse

Postby iRobot » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:50 pm

oddtail wrote:Another thing: I liked Aggie's prank. I really did. But the way she handled it later made me scowl with severe disapproval. If it were a prank, it would be a prank. Silly, childish, sure. Now it's just in bad taste. Ugh.

I agree whole-heartedly. She went from brat (the prank) to bitch (the aftermath) with this one.

I've got my own thoughts on this one.

Aggie is far more bothered by her dad dating than she's willing to admit (either to Nick or to herself). That's the obvious part. So, what does she do? She decides to let off steam by antagonising her arch-nemesis. In Aggie's mind, Penny is reliable and can give as good as she gets. I think, in a way, Aggie needs Penny in this role--much like a counter-weight. Sure, it's immature--no shit. But it's there.

Unfortunately for everyone involved, Penny's been weirded out by Sara's comments (which has probably coloured her interpretation of Aggie's actions) and seems more sensitive to their antagonistic relationship (too the point that she almost dropped the "mom-bomb" instead of responding with wit and quip). It's possible that Penny's having doubts about herself, despite herself (though, as much as it would be amusing, I honestly don't believe in the Penny/Aggie love-ship).

So, Penny's feeling threatened, almost pulls the big guns (and wisely censors herself). Meanwhile, Katy-Ann's congratulating Penny on being the bigger person causes Penny to respond curtly (because Penny knows damned well how close to being the lesser person actually was and is ashamed).

Predictions:

1) Aggie's going to keep up the pranks until she gets a real response from Penny (she needs her "high," junkie that she is). However, Penny's going to blow up in a big way--causing Aggie more distress than satisfaction. And they're both going to get into serious trouble (and Nick is going to note his disapproval to Aggie).

2) Katy-Ann, taking Sara's assessment as truth, decides to set herself up as councillor in an attempt to get Penny to "finally accept herself for who she really is and admit her feelings to Aggie." This will precede Penny blowing up.

3) Karen remains evil. Oh, and she spreads the rumour that Penny and Aggie are lesbians, ruining Penny socially. Rather than realising the true source, Penny blames Sara for spreading the rumour, severing their friendship. This also precedes Penny blowing up.

4) Lisa gets extremely jealous (between having feelings for Aggie and being immature), think that Aggie actually does have feeling for Penny and redirects it as anger towards Aggie in the form of a "sleeping with the (corporate whore) enemy" yell-fest.

5) Aggie, having caused a rift between her and almost everyone she cares about feels lost and alone.

---

I freely admit that I'm am quite possibly wrong on all accounts (and probably am), but that's just the way I've interpreted these strips.
Kyn, aka Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion
-----
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution."
-- Caractacus Pott, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
iRobot

Postby Shadrach » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't yet see any evidence that Lisa has more-than-friendly feelings for Aggie. Is it possible we'll see that in the future? Sure. But we haven't seen Lisa, for example, touch Aggie in a way that goes beyond what straight teenage girls, who are best friends, do. (Or vice versa.) Nor have we seen her imagining Aggie in a bikini (as Sara does with Lindsay Lohan...and I can't blame her :wink: ) or naked (as Karen does with Marshall when they first meet in "Weights"). But if Lisa believes the rumour that Helen and Karen may spread, she could well come to resent Aggie simply for "sleeping with the (corporate whore) enemy," as iRobot nicely puts it.
Shadrach

Postby Papuasblya » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:42 am

On iRobot's 5th point and Shadrach's response: Lisa would not have to have romantic feelings for Aggie to respond in the manner iRobot predicted. All of what we have seen between Lisa and Aggie is also perfectly compatible with a common buddy-buddy relationship -- Lisa sees herself as a rebel, has seen Aggie as a similar rebel, and hooked up with her as a friend because they share similar interests in music and similar luck with boys (i.e., none). To Lisa, a rapprochement between Aggie and Penny is not a romantic threat, but a social one: Aggie would, in Lisa's eyes, be betraying the "we're the rebels, so we don't hang with the socials" clause in their unspoken agreement.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby daanton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Certainly, look at how Aggie seems to justify herself in front of Penny: "judge not". Almost if she has turned too self-righteous, like she can invoke that and get away with anything she pulls off against Penny.

Sometime down the line, someone's gonna pay. And it's not gonna be Penny...
daanton

Postby Sebastian » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:32 pm

daanton wrote:Certainly, look at how Aggie seems to justify herself in front of Penny: "judge not". Almost if she has turned too self-righteous, like she can invoke that and get away with anything she pulls off against Penny.

and it is a thing that particolary irks me seeing how is (judging) is exactly what she is doing and kept doing to Penny from the first comic to today
Sebastian

Postby Little Wood » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 pm

You know, this really makes me wonder what exactly did she mean when she said "judge not"? Personally, when I first read that I took that as such hypocrism that I chuckled a bit because it almost seemed as though Aggie was making fun of herself for her actions. Judge not? I rarely saw Penny judge Aggie. Rarely. She may call her "weird" and "foolish" but she explains her comments well enough for a teenager. Here: http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20051018.html
Notice how even though other people see the "argument," Penny is not deliberately "making fun of Aggie," but (at least to me) seems frustrated after Aggie just doesn't get it,[i] which I would be too. I get what Penny is saying here. Aggie is not "rebellious." She's just foolish.
Little Wood

Postby Mravac Kid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Sumesse wrote:
Freemage wrote:Personally, I'm pushing for Marshall/Penny's Mom in a Mrs. Robinson scenario. Although that would end up with he and Penny on the back of the bus, and I wouldn't wish The Spineless Wonderemo on any of the female cast in the long run.

Penny and Aggie AND Sara finally admit to their lesbian lust and become a (obviously wrought with delicious drama) tio of girlfriends. Meanwhile...hm...Jack and Stan. For the classics.

Um, let's not start any P&A slashfics... :p
Ride The Wild Wind - Push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride The Wild Wind - Live life on the razor's edge
Livejournal
DeviantArt
Mravac Kid

Postby daanton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Sebastian wrote:
daanton wrote:Certainly, look at how Aggie seems to justify herself in front of Penny: "judge not". Almost if she has turned too self-righteous, like she can invoke that and get away with anything she pulls off against Penny.

and it is a thing that particolary irks me seeing how is (judging) is exactly what she is doing and kept doing to Penny from the first comic to today

Pushing Penny's buttons. That's what Aggie's been doing. We all sometimes do that: try to push each buttons to find what does and what does not cause a reaction whether good or bad.
daanton

Postby daanton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:19 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:
Sumesse wrote:
Freemage wrote:Personally, I'm pushing for Marshall/Penny's Mom in a Mrs. Robinson scenario. Although that would end up with he and Penny on the back of the bus, and I wouldn't wish The Spineless Wonderemo on any of the female cast in the long run.

Um, let's not start any P&A slashfics... :P

Unless you guys like girl fights in lingerie and with pillows!

Otherwise, me neither. Leave things as they are....
daanton

Postby JackFairy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 pm

daanton wrote:Pushing Penny's buttons. That's what Aggie's been doing. We all sometimes do that: try to push each buttons to find what does and what does not cause a reaction whether good or bad.

Ah, but WHY does she try to push Penny's buttons?

Because she judged her and found Penny lacking, and decided that she had the right to exact punishment for Penny's shortcomings. As she told her father--she doesn't like what Penny does with her life, and the fact that in Aggie's opinion, Penny could do more--so she hassles her.

That is mind-spinningly presumptious. Penny, you'll note, also thinks that Aggie is doing wasteful, foolish things with her life--except Penny doesn't make it her business to interfere or to "punish" Aggie for them. Sure, she'll send a snarky comment her way now and then when they pass each other by, but unlike Aggie, she is not actively trying to mess with someone else's life.
JackFairy

Postby Akilika » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 am

I'm not sure any of this is nearly as straightforward as anyone thinks.

Mostly, though, I'd like to note that I think people are blowing up past events in order to support views on present events. Reading the greater part of the archives (I lost my stride around the Names Primer, and intend to pick it back up tomorrow) left me with the impression that very little of what happened was any manner of big deal. (Except for "Because he's black!", which (from the extra panels that assumably only happened in Aggie's head) seems to indicate a tendency for Aggie's mouth to run ahead of her brain than her being evil.)

I mean, not everyone will get this impression from reading the archives, but I really encourage that everyone rereads them just about now.

And when I finish tomorrow, I might actually figure out what I think of all of it.
Akilika

Previous

Return to General Discussion