10/01/07 - Ow, my hair!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

10/01/07 - Ow, my hair!

Postby mabarosi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:41 am

It's sort of sweet how Karen is all protective and defensive for Marshall... Though I have a feeling it's more that she is territorial and jealous of any attention any other woman might get from Marshall, including his mother.
mabarosi

Re: 10/01/07 - Ow, my hair!

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 am

mabarosi wrote:It's sort of sweet how Karen is all protective and defensive for Marshall

Why should not she be, he is her toy, after all. Only her can play with him.
Sebastian

Postby blazelust » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 am

...been stepping on your feelings to get what she wants

HAHAHAHA. Nothing like a good dose of irony to start my morning.
blazelust

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 am

That last panel right there? That needs to be in the Journal of Psychiatric Medicine as the illustration for "Projection".

Although Marshall's reaction is a bit interesting. Another 'uncle' would be fine, but someone she's serious about would NOT be? Isn't that what he's been hinting is the problem all along--the string of lousy, purely physical relationships his mom's been in? And now that she's actually turned the corner and getting into what he woud consider a 'healthy' relationship, suddenly it's a bad thing?

I guess it is a good thing he's still hanging with Karen; with Charisma finally turning her life around, whiny emo-boy might've lost his angst supply, otherwise.

And no, I'm not a big fan of the Marshall + Aggie notion. Aggie's sweet and well-intentioned, but she's also aggressive and pushy--the Spineless Wonder would be a grade-A enabler for her worst traits. Aggie does better when she's pushed back.
Freemage

Postby Black Mantha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:37 am

blazelust wrote:
...been stepping on your feelings to get what she wants

HAHAHAHA. Nothing like a good dose of irony to start my morning.

No coffee or sandwiches for you?

(referring to here/here)
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby kiapurity » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:34 pm

Good ol' irony.

I think Charmsia(sp) is actually slightly more considerable than Karen. (Although, at this point, I am not so sure if she is Karen's new mentor if Karen is showing "hate" towards her right now.)
kiapurity

Postby IS_Wolf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Freemage wrote:Although Marshall's reaction is a bit interesting. Another 'uncle' would be fine, but someone she's serious about would NOT be? Isn't that what he's been hinting is the problem all along--the string of lousy, purely physical relationships his mom's been in? And now that she's actually turned the corner and getting into what he would consider a 'healthy' relationship, suddenly it's a bad thing?

Imo, it's because Marshal at one level hasn't come to terms with the facts that a) his parents are seperated, and b) because he's unfamiliar with who his old man is. He's creating an idealized image in his head of what his dad might've been like/is (see previous comic). What they could've done together, whilest Marshal was growing up..

So naturally, it's all mom's fault that they're divorced. The fact that dad hasn't bothered to keep tabs on him, to see if he wants contact or kept in touch with Marshal's grandma to at least learn how his son is doing. He glosses over that, that would tarnish the image.

A decent step-dad would also tarnish the image. Afterall, mom is the irresponsible one, she couldn't make the right decision if her life depended upon it. So her picking the right guy? That would mean, she might've made some other proper choices as well.. Again, it would shatter the reality as Marshal knows it. The very idea, that his biological father could not have cared less about Charisma's pregnancy (not an uncommon occurence with teen pregnancies involving only teens), doesn't occur to him. Again, see bit about image tarnishing and shattering reality as he knows it.

In a way he's a twisted mirror image of Aggie, only Aggie knows that her mom loved her and her dad, and that the only reason she isn't still with them is, because she's dead. Marshal doesn't have that assurance, so the blame game comes into play to help him feel more secure about himself and what the world is like.

As for Karen. Mixed bag. On the one hand, Charisma is a mentor, course we've already seen how Karen has dealt with previous mentors. On another, she's indeed competition for Marshal's attention, irrespective of the fact that the attention is completely different (the age old: "I want to be noticed and I don't care if it's positive or negative attention," issue). Plus, there's the issue of, this is what Marshal in part wants to hear. He doesn't want to hear his gf agreeing with his mom, see previous stuff about image tarnish and reality shattering.

In short, fairly predictable in a way.
IS_Wolf

Postby CharSol » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:40 pm

Pot, Kettle, Black comes to mind.
CharSol

Postby OneGirlAlone » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Damn. Everything I wanted to say has already been said. Thanks loads, mabarosi, IS_Wolf and CharSol. :roll: :wink:
OneGirlAlone

Postby Magick Lorelai » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm

I think that Marshall has quite a few issues of his own to work out, and they're starting to become apparent. He has issues with his mother finally settling down with someone because it's a secure thing for him that she's NOT secure. He hasn't had a secure,steady foundation for family, so he built his foundation around knowing that his mother is NOT "stable", at least not romantically. He's distressed now because the reality of a decent father-figure might be disappointing compared to the mental image he may have fantasized about; The perfect father who comes in and completes the family.

Karen's reaction? I'm not fond of her behavior recently, and her agreement with his anxiety is going to make things a hundredfold worse. She's tearing down all of the other women in his life, or that could come into his life. This just shows how insecure she is in HER relationship with him.The "Weights" storyarc showed that she probably thinks that Marshall is "Too Good" for her, even if it's only subconscious at this point. This can also be subtly seen in the "Poker" storyarc, when she was introducing her boyfriend; look at her smile. She knows she's snagged someone VERY desirable, and attributes it entirely(most likely) to her new look, instead of who SHE is. In the "Behind Closed Doors" storyline, she's VERY insecure about her relationship with Marshall, to the point where she wants to be with him intimately just to prove to herself that she's attractive to him("You DO want to, don't you?"). The mental image she has of herself is from before on that very page is probably how she fears Marshall will see her some day. So, of course she's agreeing with him, being his protector from the scary things that CHANGE would bring on. She's "protective" because it plays to his fears and makes him seek comfort with her. The very position they're in when we catch them on this page is telling; he's on her lap, she's adopting the "motherly" or "tender" role by stroking his hair, shhhing him and asking him to open up to her.

I bet that, if Karen could, she'd eliminate all other female influence. His alienation from his mother may be leading him to look for a mother in Karen, which she's happy to adopt the role of if it means cementing their relationship, so it seems.

...I'm not a fan of Karen's, but I'm still willing to see if she actually does mature out of this behavior. I HOPE she does, because she really is intriguing and dynamic as a character.
Magick Lorelai

Postby Little Wood » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Dammit, everyone is so spot on everything I thought of today.
Little Wood

Postby leonardc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:35 pm

Yeah, I can't sympathize with anything Karen is saying here. It might be true, but it seems much truer of Karen than it is of Charisma. At least Charisma did raise the kid and provide for him. Karen's just used him the whole time. "Projection" is dead on.
leonardc

Postby Kitsuiko » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:33 am

I don't think Karen's self-aware enough to realize she's projecting what she does onto Marshall's mom. Further, I don't think she's self aware or empathetic enough to not fuel what Marshall says and make everything Charisma does, worse.

I can understand Marshall's apprehension, but, I severely hope that Karen doesn't ruin something for Charisma and Nick that could be good for them both as people.

Finally, Aggie can get Marshall when she learns how to be a grown up and handle grown up things. As for now, she needs a nap and a spanking.
Kitsuiko

Postby daanton » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 am

Watch the hair, Karen, please watch the hair, it's what makes me me, I don't want you to end up freaking out when I'm suddenly bald...!
daanton

Postby Freemage » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Kitsuiko wrote:Finally, Aggie can get Marshall when she learns how to be a grown up and handle grown up things. As for now, she needs a nap and a spanking.

I volunteer for administering the latter!

Every time I pull myself out of the gutter, they pull me right back in!

*Ahem* Anyway, if Aggie were to mature, then she'd have no use for Marshall. Again, she needs a guy (or girl, or posse, or whatever) that will challenge her. The Metrosexual Jellyfish isn't gonna cut it.
Freemage

Next

Return to General Discussion